This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9018 / 55°54'6"N
Longitude: -3.2594 / 3°15'33"W
OS Eastings: 321352
OS Northings: 668351
OS Grid: NT213683
Mapcode National: GBR 50P6.46
Mapcode Global: WH6SR.XX2G
Plus Code: 9C7RWP2R+P6
Entry Name: 6 Bonaly Steading, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 5 and 6 Bonaly Steading, Bonaly Road with Gate Pier
Listing Date: 19 December 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397098
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49546
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Colinton/Fairmilehead
Traditional County: Midlothian
Mid 19th century, converted McTaggart and Mickel, 1985. 2-storey 6-bay former cartshed and granary (now flats and garages), gabled to N and cross-gable to S; 4 lintelled cartshed openings to E; forward-facing gable to W with 3 arched slit windows at 1st floor. Squared, coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar window margins. 2 modern doors at ground to left of E elevation; 4 cart entrances to right; small windows at 1st floor with larger window to centre. Blind gable to N. Forward-facing gable to outer right of W elevation; former door (now window) at ground to centre with bracketed canopy; 3 arched slit windows above; small windows at first floor across rest of elevation. Irregular fenestration to S.
Predominantly non traditional tilt-windows; some timber sash and case windows to larger openings. Ashlar-coped skews with shaped skewputts. Graded grey slate. Red ridge tiles.
GATEPIER: single ashlar-coped gatepier to N.
This was the steading of Bonaly Farm. Other surviving buildings are the farm house, the farm cottages (19-23 Bonaly Road) and the 1887 Farm Overseer's house (20 Bonaly Road). The house and the cottages are listed separately, 20 Bonaly Road is not listed. Together, these buildings form an important reminder of Bonaly's agricultural past. The farm was built between 1834 and 1855: it is shown on the 1st edition OS map, but not on Gellatly's New Map of The County 12 Miles Around Edinburgh. It also appears on John Bell's Plan Of The Estate Of Spylaw, to which it was evidently added some time after the map had been drawn. The steading was originally built in a rough U-plan. In the 1985 conversion most of the original fabric was demolished, and this wing is the main surviving section. The 1985 additions are easily distinguishable because they are harled and the original fabric is not. One other section of original fabric survives in the SE outshot of the courtyard. It is not included in this list.
Other nearby listed buildings