History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

7 The Square, New Abbey

A Category C Listed Building in New Abbey, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.9798 / 54°58'47"N

Longitude: -3.6217 / 3°37'18"W

OS Eastings: 296307

OS Northings: 566228

OS Grid: NX963662

Mapcode National: GBR 3B4V.PN

Mapcode Global: WH5X3.B3L6

Plus Code: 9C6RX9HH+W8

Entry Name: 7 The Square, New Abbey

Listing Name: 6-11 (Inclusive Nos), the Square Including Old Smithy and Former Weigh- House

Listing Date: 15 December 2003

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397163

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49586

Building Class: Cultural

Location: New Abbey

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Abbey

Parish: New Abbey

Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire

Find accommodation in
New Abbey


Mid 18th century in origin with many later alterations. Single storey and attic row of cottages with bowed corner end to N, and later lean-to former weigh-house at SW. Harled sandstone with raised ashlar margins to doors and windows. Alternating doors and windows at ground; probably later bipartite with stone mullion between doors to numbers 7 and 9; later 2-leaf timber sliding doors to old smithy at No. 6. Small plaque above forge door, inscribed BY HAMMER AND HAND ALL ARTS DO STAND. R.M. 1775~. 4 later piend-roofed dormers with decorative brackets and slate-hung cheeks to attic.

Predominantly 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; some uPVC windows at N end. Ashlar-coped skews. Coped sandstone stacks with thake-stones; tall, decorative yellow clay cans. Very distinctive graded grey Lancashire slate.

Statement of Interest

Listed for historical interest, and streetscape value. The bracketed dormers are a nice detail. The excellently hung slates on the roof are also notable, with very large slates at the bottom and tiny ones at the top. This emphatic grading of the slates is traditional in this part of the country, and survives on a number of cottages in the village. Number 6 used to be the old smithy, and the last blacksmith, Joe Treland, died in about 1955. The lean-to building outside the smithy is the old weigh-house. The weighing machine stood just in front of it, and is marked on the c.1900 OS map, and is shown in the picture mentioned above.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.