This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.3418 / 56°20'30"N
Longitude: -2.805 / 2°48'17"W
OS Eastings: 350336
OS Northings: 716893
OS Grid: NO503168
Mapcode National: GBR 2Q.4KR5
Mapcode Global: WH7RZ.WVGP
Plus Code: 9C8V85RW+P2
Entry Name: Cryanreuch, 3 Windmill Road, St Andrews
Listing Name: 3 Windmill Road, Cryanreuch Including Gate Piers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 8 January 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397187
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49603
Building Class: Cultural
Location: St Andrews
Town: St Andrews
Electoral Ward: St Andrews
Traditional County: Fife
J Donald Mills of Mills & Shepherd, 1924-26. 2-storey, L-plan late Arts and Crafts Baillie Scott/Voysey style villa. Harled and painted white with sandstone window cills, tall brick chimneys, and pantile roof. Overhanging eaves, predominantly casement windows.
WEST (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: section to left, 4 ground floor windows including 2 large windows. Piended 1st floor section to centre, advanced gabled bay to right with large advanced brick chimney to full height of gable, small porch with doorway set in re-entrant angle.
NORTH ELEVATION: dominated by catslide roof reducing elevation to single storey, with two tall stacks to the east and west.
EAST ELEVATION: not seen, 2003.
SOUTH ELEVATION: Advanced with gable breaking eaves to right of centre. Irregular fenestration with horizontal window to 1st floor left and ground and 1st floor of advanced bay.
Predominantly multi-paned casement windows. Piended pantiled roof. Red brick stacks with upper raised bands.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2003.
GATE PIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: 2 pairs of square plan piers with pitched coping to west of house. 2 pairs of timber gates with swept top rail. Boundary wall with coping continues round to south of house.
Built for Colonel Hugh Morris Allen. Plans dated 18th April 1924. A good example of Mills' local work in St Andrews, this house uses the characteristic Mills and Shepherd materials of brick, harling and pantiles. Mills and Shepherd contributed extensively to the architecture of St Andrews, and with regard to their domestic commissions, made a significant contribution to the new suburban districts of St Andrews.
Lidstone points out the balcony or minstrel's gallery that overhangs the staircase and is reached through double doors on the landing. This unusual feature is not in the original plans but was possibly added to please the client. Lidstone also notes the significantly lighter coloured oak used in this interior, in conjunction with more delicate moulding and detailing, than seen in other contemporary work by Mills and Shepherd.
Other nearby listed buildings