This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.1887 / 55°11'19"N
Longitude: -3.0446 / 3°2'40"W
OS Eastings: 333586
OS Northings: 588770
OS Grid: NY335887
Mapcode National: GBR 785F.MS
Mapcode Global: WH7YH.6VF3
Plus Code: 9C7R5XQ4+F4
Entry Name: Stable, Burnfoot House
Listing Name: Burnfoot House with Former Stable
Listing Date: 20 January 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397214
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49631
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Annandale East and Eskdale
Traditional County: Dumfriesshire
Dated 1850, additions circa 1860, 1869 and 1885 (see Notes). 2-storey and attic, L-plan multi-gabled plain Tudor style house with 3 advanced gabled bays to E (front), mullioned windows to E and S elevations, quadripartite mullioned staircase window with diamond-pane leaded lights to N (rear), and plain bargeboards. Rendered with ashlar dressings. Base course and string course to S and E elevations. Long and short quoins to E elevation; chamfered window margins and mullions to S and E elevations; ashlar margins to 1st and 2nd floor windows at N.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: main wing to right with 2 advanced 3-storey gabled bays; lower recessed 1869 wing to left with advanced 2-storey gabled bay. Timber panelled front door with plate glass fanlight and sidelights to right-hand bay; WEM 1850 carved over window to left return of bay. Quadripartite windows at ground and 1st floors of other bays; bipartite windows at 2nd floor.
S (GARDEN) ELEVATION: advanced gable to right with tripartite windows at ground and 1st floor; lean-to timber conservatory on stone base to left return; blind gable above; timber panelled back door in re-entrant angle. 2-bay wing to left with gabled mullioned dormers breaking eaves.
N (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2 gabled bays, bay to left slightly advanced. Irregular fenestration; later extensions at ground.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: window-less gabled bay to left with advanced chimney breast corbelled out from 1st floor. Irregularly fenestrated wing to right, with tall mullioned staircase window. Later extensions at ground.
Plate glass in timber sash and case windows to principal elevations; small-pane glazing to W, N and part of S elevations. Corniced, coped stacks. Plain bargeboards. Bracketed eaves. Finialled gables. Graded grey slate. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: access not possible. Half-glazed timber panelled door to lobby.
FORMER STABLE: 1852. U-plan former stable range (now holiday cottages) with former groom?s cottage at SE corner, and overhanging roof supported on cast-iron columns forming covered way to N. Deep bracketed eaves. Random rubble with partly stugged sandstone ashlar dressings. S elevation: 3-bay groom?s house to right with timber boarded front door, gabled 1st floor windows breaking eaves; irregularly fenestrated range to left. E elevation: irregularly fenestrated lean-to with swept roof. N elevation: advanced gabled wings to sides; irregularly fenestrated recessed section to centre with swept roof supported on columns.
Possibly by Walter Newall (1780-1863), a Dumfriesshire architect who designed many farms and villas in the county, and who favoured the picturesque ?Tudor? style that was fashionable in England during this period, and was popularised by the Scottish architect, William Burn.
The house was built for William Elphinstone Malcolm in 1850, and originally comprised of the central 2 bays. A ground-floor room was added to the S, and the 2nd floor was enlarged for a nursery in the mid 1850s. A photograph showing the original S wing is on the Burnfoot website. According to the website the N wing (which was identical to the present S wing), was added in 1869-70, but this date cannot be accurate, because this wing, along with the 1st S wing mentioned above, is shown on the 1857 OS map. This N wing, which contained a dining room and museum, was demolished after the 2nd world war. According to the website, the present Southern wing was added in 1885, and is shown on the 2nd edition (1898) OS map.
The Malcolm family were Gentlemen Farmers from Eskdale, and rose to considerable importance in the late eighteenth century through the exertions of 3 brothers: Sir Pulteney (1768-1838) was an admiral, Sir John (1769-1833), the most famous, was a diplomat and administrator in India, and Sir Charles (1782-1851) was a Vice Admiral. A monument in the hills outside Langholm commemorates their achievements. William Elphinstone Malcolm (1817-1907) was the son of Sir Pulteney.