This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8619 / 55°51'42"N
Longitude: -4.2069 / 4°12'24"W
OS Eastings: 261977
OS Northings: 665388
OS Grid: NS619653
Mapcode National: GBR 0XL.8F
Mapcode Global: WH4Q7.BXYL
Plus Code: 9C7QVQ6V+P6
Entry Name: Haghill Primary School, 9-29 Walter Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 42 Marwick Street and 9-29 Walter Street, Haghill Primary School Including Gate Piers, Boundary Walls and Railings and 16 Marwick Street (Janitor's House)
Listing Date: 28 January 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397240
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49650
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dennistoun
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
A Lindsay Miller, dated 1904. 3-storey and basement, irregular plan, simple Free Renaissance School Board School. Red sandstone ashlar. Rusticated base course, 1st floor double cill course, 2nd floor cill course, eaves cornice and parapet. Slate roof.
S (WALTER STREET) (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: off centre 4-bay pedimented gable with GBS in gable apex. 1904 datestone at ground floor. HAGHILL PUBLIC SCHOOL frieze between 1st and 2nd floor, SCHOOL BOARD OF GLASGOW frieze between 2nd and 3rd floor. 4 bays to right, 5 bays to left.
N (MARWICK STREET) ELEVATION: central advanced 3-bay pedimented gable with GBS in gable apex. HAGHILL PUBLIC SCHOOL frieze between 1st and 2nd floor, SCHOOL BOARD OF GLASGOW frieze between 2nd and 3rd floor. 1 bay to left, 3 bays to right.
W ELEVATION: flat-roofed entrance archway with 2 storeys recessed above, 3-bay pedimented gable to right, 4 bays bowed to left with advanced single bay 2-storey entrance. Later single storey red sandstone addition obscures arched entrance.
E ELEVATION: flat-roofed entrance archway with 2 storeys recessed above, 1-bay pedimented gable to left, 6 bays bowed to right with advanced single bay 2-storey entrance. Later single storey red sandstone addition obscures entrances.
Varied glazing pattern, mostly timber 4 pane sash and case with top hoppers. Plain tall stacks to W and E. Plenum heating and ventilation system chimney to S.
INTERIOR: good interior with classrooms set around central hall.Hammer-beam roof with steel ties, long roof lights and decorative ventilators. Decorative cast iron radiators to ground floor hall. Dado height tiling throughout hall and corridors with egg and dart detail.
GATE PIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: high squared and snecked red sandstone wall with base course and corniced coping to SW, low squared and snecked stone wall to N, S and E with simple steel railings. Decorative square gate piers with curved coping, 1 to Marwick Street, 2 to Walter Street, inscribed BOYS, GIRLS and INFANTS.
JANITOR'S HOUSE (16 MARWICK STREET): single storey and attic, 3-bay red sandstone ashlar janitor's house, mullioned windows. PRINCIPAL (E) ELEVATION: central entrance door flanked by 2 storey one bay gable to left and one bay to right with pedimented dormer. Grey slates, stacks to N and S with tall stack at SW.
NOTES: A good example of a Glasgow School Board School. All the classrooms were designed to seat 60 children with infants on the ground floor and boys and girls on the 1st and 2nd floors. The typical plan of classrooms arranged around a central well fulfilled several important considerations for the running of the school - the ground floor could be used as a drill hall for the pupils while the central well allowed good ventilation and gave the headmaster and headmistress the opportunity to observe all the classrooms from a central point. The playground was separated into Boys and Girls areas from N to S, each with their own lavatories and shelters. Evidence of the original tiered schoolroom seating is still visible in tiered timber panelling in some of the schoolrooms.
The setting of the school within a square of traditional tenements is noteworthy.
The school is due to move to new premises in June 2004 and has already vacated the top floor. Janitor's house in poor repair, boarded up, with most of the rainwater goods missing.
Other nearby listed buildings