This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3149 / 56°18'53"N
Longitude: -2.6668 / 2°40'0"W
OS Eastings: 358847
OS Northings: 713812
OS Grid: NO588138
Mapcode National: GBR 2X.60SQ
Mapcode Global: WH8TD.0JCR
Plus Code: 9C8V887M+X7
Entry Name: Byre, Boghall
Listing Name: Boghall Farm, Byre
Listing Date: 23 February 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397247
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49657
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: East Neuk and Landward
Traditional County: Fife
Later 19th century single-storey impressive double pile 21-bay isolated byre range. Coursed rubble with long and short sandstone dressings to entrance. Wide timber gabled entrance, M-piend roof, pantiles, some glass tiles. Later ridge ventilation pipes set at right angles.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical, bays grouped 10-1-10. Simple, deep square feed openings.
N ELEVATION: centrally placed timber gable (in disrepair), full height opening to right.
W & E ELEVATIONS: blank end elevations
INTERIOR: good, little-altered interior. Central valley supported by timber post and lintel beam. Timber roof. Water troughs to north corners. Feeding troughs to south with timber edges and dividers. Whitewashed.
A highly unusual large byre situated a short distance to the north of Boghall Farm itself, the structure is notable not only for its scale but also for its solitary location. Boghall appears on Ainslie's 1775 map. Built during the 19th century period of prosperity in farming, the structure first appears on the 2nd Edition OS Map.
Numbers of cattle on British farms increased by one third between 1864 and 1874 and an increased awareness of the benefits of providing appropriate shelter resulted in covered cowhouses. Boghall was sold to the local Monypenny of Pitmilly family in 1851 by Sir Thomas Erskine of nearby Cambo House. The Monypennys were granted their lands in 1211 and owned many tenanted farms in the area in the 19th century. The estate was gradually broken up in the 20th century:
Boghall was sold in 1920 and Pitmilly House itself in 1929 (it was demolished 1967-8).
The central gable of north elevation is somewhat dilapidated.
Other nearby listed buildings