This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0174 / 56°1'2"N
Longitude: -3.6053 / 3°36'19"W
OS Eastings: 300023
OS Northings: 681659
OS Grid: NT000816
Mapcode National: GBR 1S.SS0N
Mapcode Global: WH5R2.L0DT
Plus Code: 9C8R298V+XV
Entry Name: The Carriers Quarters, 8-10 Main Street, Bo'Ness
Listing Name: 8 and 10 Main Street,ye Olde Carriers Quarters
Listing Date: 31 March 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397301
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49703
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Bo'ness and Blackness
Traditional County: West Lothian
James Thomson, dated 1905, possibly incorporating 1647 fabric. 2-storey, 3-bay (above ground) gabled public house with mock half-timbering, in irregular terrace to W. Painted ashlar and harl. Base course, deep ground floor frieze and cornice, and eaves course. Architraved windows to 1st floor N. Stone mullions.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: broad dividing pilasters with wall-shaft and thistle-carved corbel dividing recessed bays. Panelled timber door with multi-pane fanlight immediately right of centre, canted window with round-arched centre light in bay to right, and similar window with 2 centre lights in bay to left; painted sign in further bay (blocked door?) to outer left. Full-width frieze with traditional lettering giving way to cornice with cartouche-style stops, that to right with 'MCMV', that to left with '?KJ'. 1st floor with small carved stone (base for statue or sundial?) to outer left; centre bay with single window over carved stone dated '1647' and with 'RSY/I?', abutting jettied base (with arrowslit) of shouldered stack piercing gable above; flanking bays each with bipartite window and half-timbered gablehead. 2 small modern rooflights.
E ELEVATION: broad gabled elevation with single window high up at 1st floor.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: variety of elements to asymmetrically-fenestrated elevation including forestair to 1st floor timber porch and decoratively-astragalled barred window to right also at floor.
Fixed glazing with multi-pane top lights to ground and uPVC glazing to 1st floor N, 12-pane glazing pattern in modern timber sash and case window at E. Grey slates. Cavetto-coped harled stack to N and truncated gablehead stack to E, both with cans. Ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts; mutuled bargeboarding and spike finials; cast-iron downpipe with decorative rainwater hopper.
INTERIOR: largely non-traditional later 20th century decorative scheme but retaining some timber panelling at ground, and moulded cornices at 1st floor.
Local architect James Thomson designed a number of shop and tenement blocks in South Street, as well as the fine Post Office at East Pier Street. Established in 1647, the 'Carriers' was a posting inn with stables (much altered and converted to a store) at the rear. Tradition says that the licensee was obliged to provide hay and water at no extra charge for all lodger's horses. During refurbishment circa 1995, a journal (or sweetheart's book) was discovered hidden in the rafters.
Other nearby listed buildings