This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7544 / 55°45'16"N
Longitude: -4.6295 / 4°37'46"W
OS Eastings: 235079
OS Northings: 654362
OS Grid: NS350543
Mapcode National: GBR 39.BJNB
Mapcode Global: WH2NB.VMNF
Entry Name: 65 Wilson Street, Barrington House, Including Former Coachhouse, Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 31 March 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397346
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49743
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilbirnie and Beith
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Circa 1860 (coachhouse dated). Large 2-storey, 3-bay Italianate villa; converted to residential care home, 1999. Central portico supported by Corinthian columns; timber panelled outer door within pilastered surround, round-arched fanlight above; flanking canted bay windows. 1st floor with central bipartite window, flanking tripartite windows; moulded square-headed architraves. Round-arched and segmental heads to windows. Polished buff ashlar with raised quoins; bracketed eaves cornice.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: 4 bays. Canted bay to outer L ground and 1st floors; single storey entrance block to centre L, bipartite stair window above; 2 bays to R with late 20th century conservatory; all windows with round-arched heads.
S ELEVATION: service door in re-entrant angle.
N ELEVATION: projecting bay to ground R with bipartite window; window to 1st floor.
Timber sash and case windows throughout. Grey slates to piended roof; some straight stone skews to gabled blocks at rear; corniced ashlar stacks with moulded clay cans.
INTERIOR: altered 1999. Decorative cast-iron balustrade and mahogany handrail to stair. Timber panelled doors with roll-moulded architraves; some original decorative cornicing.
COACHHOUSE: 3 bays. Off-centre gabled bay with depressed arch (keyblock dated 1860); oculi above; pyramidal finial to apex. Timber boarded door to L; door to R with small windows to ground and 1st floor. Round-arched bipartite window to W gable. Coursed, stugged sandstone. Timber sash and case lying-pane windows and small-pane windows. Grey slates; sawtooth skews; stone ridge; wallhead stacks to rear. Now in poor condition.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: random rubble coped wall bounding garden to E and N at rear and sides; cast-iron gate to rear. Painted, coped low ashlar wall toWilson Street; 4 Gothic octagonal gatepiers with bracketed, scalloped caps; 2 small cast-iron gates and central 2-leaf cast-iron gate (both fleur de lis pattern).
The Italianate design and decorative detailing of the house is more sophisticated than the average pattern-book Victorian villa. Although the house has lost much of its original interior features, the elevation to Wilson Street, with the prominent gatepiers, contributes much to the streetscape. The only alteration to this elevation is the ramp for disabled access but this does not overly compromise the design. The house retains its original round-arched timber windows, which are distinctive and contribute much to the character of the villa.
Other nearby listed buildings