This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.955 / 55°57'18"N
Longitude: -3.1761 / 3°10'34"W
OS Eastings: 326660
OS Northings: 674178
OS Grid: NT266741
Mapcode National: GBR 8SD.4S
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.5LT5
Plus Code: 9C7RXR4F+2H
Entry Name: 19 Regent Terrace, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 19 Regent Terrace Including Railings and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 16 December 1965
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397403
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49782
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
William Playfair, designed 1825, built 1826-1833. Part of long terrace of 34 classical 3-bay townhouses; originally 2-storey, attic and basement elevations (many have additional later 3rd storeys) punctuated by 2 18-bay, 3-storey pavilions with 3-bay advanced sections to each end (Nos 11-16 and 23-28) and with 12-bay, 3-storey section to the western end (Nos 1-4); terrace stepped down at intervals to follow slope of road. Droved ashlar to basement; polished ashlar to upper floors; predominantly coursed squared rubble with dressed margins to rear elevation. To principal elevation: base course; dividing band between basement and ground floor; dividing band and cornice between ground and 1st floors; to 1st floor, continuous cast-iron trellis balcony with Greek key border; band course dividing 1st and 2nd floors; eaves cornice; blocking course. Doorpiece of fluted attached Greek Doric columns. Regular fenestration to principal elevation; architraved windows to ground and 1st floors; panelled aprons to ground floor windows; predominantly regular fenestration to rear elevation.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3-storey and basement elevation. To basement, to centre bay, timber panelled and glazed door with 3-light fanlight in segmentally-headed opening; window to left bay; to right, area beneath platt blocked by wall with bipartite window. To ground floor, to right bay, steps and platt overarching basement recess leading to 2-leaf timber-panelled door with letterbox fanlight.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: 2-bay elevation. To 1st floor to right bay, glazed doors leading to external metal stairs. Eaves course.
GLAZING etc: 4-pane glazing to basement and 1st floor to front elevation; plate glass to remainder of front elevation; predominantly 12-pane glazing to rear elevation. to 1st floor to front elevation; 16-pane glazing to right bay to rear elevation; glazing predominantly in timber sash and case windows. M-roof with central valley and mansard profile to front; graded grey slate; stone skews and skewputts. To E and W, corniced mutual ridge stacks preceded by individual octangular flues to front; to rear, small wallhead stack to centre; predominantly circular cans.
RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: to front, edging basement recess and platt, stone coping surmounted by cast-iron railings with dog bars, spear-head finials and distinctive circled border; to left of platt, wrought-iron lamp standard. To rear, forming boundary of garden, random rubble walls with predominantly flat coping.
INTERIOR: subdivided into flats. To ground floor: to lobby, architraved panels to walls, good plasterwork including putti bas-reliefs to upper walls; compartmented ceiling; corniced and pilastered doorpiece; to former dining room, grey marble classical chimneypiece, good plasterwork; to rear room (W), black marble classical chimneypiece, good simple plasterwork; to rear room (E), plaster relief of angel. To 1st floor; to former drawing room, excellent plasterwork, grey marble classical chimneypiece with tiled cheeks and part-gilded ornate overmantel mirror (possibly original); part-gilded pier glass between windows (possibly original); to rear room, grey marble chimneypiece; good plasterwork; part-gilded mirror to wall. To 2nd floor, bathroom with coffin bath and contemporary enclosed shower compartment. Stone cantilevered stairs (altered to ground floor due to subdivision) with cast-iron balusters, cast-iron tray rest with wrought-iron brackets to 1st floor landing, plaster putti reliefs to side of 1st floor landing, rectangular cupola in compartmented ceiling; simple plasterwork.
Part of the Calton A-Group.
The 2nd floor to 19 Regent Terrace is a later addition and not part of Playfair's original design.
Regent Terrace forms part of the showpiece of Playfair's Eastern New Town (or Calton) scheme, and as such is an important example of the work of one of Scotland's leading early 19th century architects. Playfair was one of the major driving forces of the Greek Revival in Edinburgh at this time, and his public commissions such as the National Monument, the Royal Institution and the National Gallery (see separate listings) gave strength to Edinburgh's reputation as the Athens of the North. The Calton Scheme was one of his few domestic commissions, and the variety of designs, different for each street, demonstrates Playfair's expertise with the Grecian style and his characteristic punctilious attention to detail. The railings and balconies are important as their design features distinctive elements which Playfair repeated in large areas of the Calton scheme.
The origins of the Eastern New Town, which was to occupy the east end of Calton Hill and lands to the north of it on the ground between Easter Road and Leith Walk, lie in a 'joint plan for building' which three principal feuars (Heriot's Hospital, Trinity Hospital and Mr Allan of Hillside) entered into in 1811. In 1812 a competition was advertised for plans for laying out the grounds in question. Thirty-two plans were received, displayed and reported on by a variety of people, including eight architects. Eventually, it was decided that none of the plans was suitable. However, it was a more general report by William Stark (who died shortly after submitting it) which caught the attention of the Commissioners and formed the basis of the final scheme. Stark's central argument stressed the importance of planning around the natural contours and features of the land rather than imposing formal, symmetrical street plans upon it. After several years of little or no progress, in 1818 the Commissioners finally selected William Henry Playfair, Stark's former pupil, to plan a scheme following his master's Picturesque ideals.
The resulting scheme, presented to the Commissioners in 1819, preserved the view of and from Calton Hill by the creation of a limited triangular development of the three single-sided terraces (to make the most of the spectacular views), Royal, Regent and Carlton, on the hill itself. These looked over a huge radial street pattern, centred on the gardens of Hillside Crescent, on the land to the north. The feuing of these lower lands started well, with Elm Row, Leopold Place, Windsor Street and the west side of Hillside Crescent being built fairly swiftly. Regent Terrace was feued in 1824 and building began the next year. In 1831, nearly all the houses were complete, and by 1833, all were inhabited except No 14. However, demand for the feus in other street of the scheme faltered severely, due to the growing popularity of new properties being built to the west of the New Town. This had a particularly bad effect on Royal Terrace, where construction stopped for 20 years, leaving 2 large gaps in the Terrace and a further 3 unbuilt feus to the west end. The fate of the whole Calton scheme was sealed in 1838, when it was decided that feuars should pay poor-rates to both Edinburgh and Leith. This virtually halted development for the next thirty years. The result of all these problems was that very little of Playfair's original scheme was ever built. When building resumed in the 1880s, some of Playfair's original street lines were adhered to, as was the case with Hillside Crescent, and in others such as Brunton Place, Brunswick Street, Hillside Street (originally to be a longer street called Hopeton Street), and Wellington Street (also curtailed). However, due to piecemeal residential, industrial and transport developments immediately to the north, it would have been impossible to further follow Playfair's original layout, even if this had been considered desirable.
Other nearby listed buildings