History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former St Mungo's Parish Hall, 10 Bedford Place, (1-8) St Mungo's Wynd Including Boundary Wall and Gatepiers

A Category C Listed Building in Alloa, Clackmannanshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.1133 / 56°6'48"N

Longitude: -3.7964 / 3°47'47"W

OS Eastings: 288392

OS Northings: 692630

OS Grid: NS883926

Mapcode National: GBR 1J.LYXQ

Mapcode Global: WH5QD.NLDS

Entry Name: Former St Mungo's Parish Hall, 10 Bedford Place, (1-8) St Mungo's Wynd Including Boundary Wall and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 7 May 2004

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397489

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49851

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Alloa

County: Clackmannanshire

Electoral Ward: Clackmannanshire South

Traditional County: Clackmannanshire

Find accommodation in
Alloa

Description

William Kerr and John Gray of John Melvin and son, 1926. 2-storey 7-bay rectangular-plan former parish hall (now residential). Harled with ashlar sandstone doorway, window surrounds and margins. Prominent slated ventilator spire. Squared snecked rubble base course. Large modern extension to rear.

N ELEVATION: 2-leaf timber-panelled door in slightly advanced ashlar sandstone central doorway; channeled quoins and carved burning bush motif above door.

Shouldered moulded architrave. Bracketed stone balcony with diamond-pattern railings to full-length window on first floor. Date stone at eaves (1926).

E and W ELEVATIONS: 2 bays to main block; one upper window blocked up. Rear extension 2-bays deep with modern open stairs to first floor entrance

S ELEVATION: Symmetrical fenestration, but varying in size. Central door with round-arched fanlight. Full-length window above.

24-pane wide-astragalled sash and case windows to ground floor; 16-pane to first floor. Some modern glazing to side elevations. Swept piended slate roof with overhanging eaves and exposed rafters.

Low stone boundary walls with undecorated cast iron railings; square-plan gate piers with obelisk capstones.

Statement of Interest

St. Mungo's Parish Hall is a good example of the quality of work by this well-known provincial practice and is an important part of the streetscape at Bedford Place. Although the building has recently been converted and extended for residential use, this has not had a significant detrimental effect on the building's character and the front elevation is intact, including the fine doorpiece. It has been suggested (Swan, 1992) that this may be part of a series of buildings designed by John Gray in Kerr's office.

Conversion to housing and extension by MBM architects, 1997.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.