This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9365 / 55°56'11"N
Longitude: -4.5207 / 4°31'14"W
OS Eastings: 242646
OS Northings: 674359
OS Grid: NS426743
Mapcode National: GBR 0N.YY54
Mapcode Global: WH3NR.J1JV
Entry Name: Milton Primary School Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Railings
Listing Date: 9 June 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397500
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49861
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Old Kilpatrick
County: West Dunbartonshire
Electoral Ward: Dumbarton
Parish: Old Kilpatrick
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
Stewart and Paterson, 1905. 2-3 storey 8-bay Greek cross plan Renaissance style school building with Baroque details, including a lantern with louvred ventilators. Squared, stugged red sandstone with ashlar dressings. Roll-moulded ashlar base course, moulded first floor sill course, dentilled cornice broken by open pediments, continuous blocking course. Gibbs surrounds to first floor windows. Small modern single-storey extension to rear
S ELEVATION: central six bays advanced flanked by recessed entrance bays. Central bays (2-storey): pair of tripartite windows on each floor; square-headed with moulded architraves to ground floor. Segmental-headed central first floor windows have brackets below sill course and prominent keystones within open pediments.
Entrance bays (3-storey) with boys' and girls' entrances: raised ashlar doorways with shouldered architraves and broken semicircular pediments containing square windows; signage to friezes; 2 small windows to first floor.
E AND W ELEVATIONS: wide full-height canted bays with three floors of 4 square windows to central block.
N ELEVATION: pair of triple windows to single storey central block. Single storey toilet block to left and single door to right. Harled to main block.
2-leaf panelled outer doors. Panelled glazed inner door to E, modern replacement to W. Tall 3-pane timber sash and case windows to central block; 4-pane top-hoppers to canted bays. Piended grey slate roofs. Baroque ventilator spire with bell-cast lead cupola and doric columns with heavy cornice. Large rooflights to ridge of main block. Corner stacks to rear. Cast-iron rainwater goods; trefoil fixings to downpipes. Corner wall-mounted flagpole. INTERIOR: 2-storey central hall with classrooms off; wrought iron railings to balcony. Doric columns and half columns with rosette band to end walls with semicircular arch to central bay on first floor. Square pillars to ground. Decorative ventilation grilles with keystoned shouldered architrave. Depressed arch-braced collar rafter roof; sandstone brackets. Steel ridge. Boarded timber to dado height throughout. Panelled doors glazed to upper half. Glazed and panelled concertina screens divide rooms. Steel stair construction.
Plain railings with occasional decorative panels on boundary wall; chamfered copes to West and South; brick walls to North and East. Decorative wrought-iron gates; square-scction piers; dentilled capstones to front gatepiers. Later single-storey pitched roof timber building in yard to rear.
Milton Primary School is an excellent example of an early 20th century school building with details such as the unusual entrance detail and baroque ventilator spire adding interest to the relatively conventional layout. The survival of the fine interior details and joinery is exceptional and the school retains all of the original railings and boundary walls, with good decorative wrought iron gates.The school also makes a significant contribution to the townscape of Milton.
Glasgow architects John Stewart (1870-1954) and George Andrew Paterson (1876-1934) were responsible for the design of the school. Other well-known buildings by the practice include Maclaren High School, Callander, 1907 (also listed), and housing at Anniesland Cross 1908-10 and at East King St., Helensburgh, 1936. The practice also designed a number of churches such as Netherlee Parish Church in Cathcart, 1933. The builder at Milton Primary School was Mr. Winton of Duntocher and the stone used was Corncockle sandstone. It appears that the school may have been designed to be larger, with another classroom to the rear.
Milton Primary School opened on the 29th of May 1905, replacing an earlier school to the East of the village (still surviving) which had been in operation for some 40 years.
Other nearby listed buildings