This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9434 / 55°56'36"N
Longitude: -4.1491 / 4°8'56"W
OS Eastings: 265874
OS Northings: 674349
OS Grid: NS658743
Mapcode National: GBR 13.YHW9
Mapcode Global: WH4PW.7WH2
Entry Name: Kilsyth Road, Former Lodge to Broomhill Hospital Complex (Including Boundary Walls and Gates)
Listing Date: 11 June 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397522
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49875
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Dunbartonshire
Electoral Ward: Kirkintilloch East and North and Twechar
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
Earlier to mid-19th century with later 19th century extension. Single storey with partial basement, lozenge-shaped classical lodge building with rectangular-plan rear extension carried on basement. Tooled red sandstone ashlar with advanced polished red sandstone base course, quoins, window and door surrounds. Sandstone boundary wall with red sandstone ashlar piers.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central round arched chamfered arris door surround (door presently n-filled by modern metal security door), round arched windows with chamfered arrises flanking door, later ventilation grille below left window.
SE AND NW (SIDE) ELEVATIONS: 3-bay canted end elevation with
round arched window to each face.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: advanced rectangular-plan extension, irregularly fenestrated harled basement (central window with further window to right return) with metal beam forming band course; sandstone upper level (forming ground floor of main lodge) with single window to right return, harled entrance steps with stone detailing abutting lodge to left of elevation leading to entrance door with window to flanks. Original fenestration (timber sliding sash and case windows) concealed by security shutters and mesh. Piended small scotch slate roof with lead ridgings, flashings and valleys; deep overhanging eaves with timber facings to main lodge. Painted cast iron rainwater goods. Tall central red sandstone stack with heavy base course, chamfered main stack with paired scoop detail, moulded neck cornice, cans now missing.
BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS AND GATES: sandstone rubble wall with shaped coping terminating in tall red sandstone ashlar square gatepiers (base course, plain shaft, flat moulded caps); dwarf ashlar walls support decorative cast iron railings with fleur de lys style finials between further piers, gates to vehicular access.
This was originally the lodge building to a large villa called Broomhill. It is a good example of a gate lodge, with gate piers and walls intact and designed in a classical style to complement Broomhill villa. Set within extensive grounds, this lodge sits behind the formal entrance gates and leads to a long tree-lined drive running north toward the house. The former Broomhill estate overlooks the hills and has a panoramic view of the River Kelvin, wooded policies, pasture area and a walled garden.
A local philanthropist, Beatrice Clugston formed the 'Scottish National
Institution for the relief of patients with incurable diseases in 1874. She
pledged to raise money for the purpose of providing a facility for the patients. A bazaar raised in excess of £14,000, which was used to buy the Broomhill Estate (the house and 80 acres) from Robert Bartholomew. It was inaugurated by Lord Shaftsbury on the 6th October 1875 and officially opened by Lord Provost Bain of Glasgow on August 30th 1876. Originally, the house could support 49 adult and 12 children suffering from TB, chronic illnesses such as cancer and other incurable conditions. Paupers were not admitted to the facility. Within 10 years of the home opening, it was extended to provide another 39 beds. By 1886, further alterations saw the building house 114 beds in total. A second bazaar was held in 1893 and the £10,000 raised helped to construct a purpose built wing for the nurses and servants. The Duchess of Montrose opened this new wing on 18th March 1895. In 1902, £5,000 was bequeathed by Miss Martha Brown and was used to open the Lanfine Home. A further £15,000 from Miss Brown's estate saw the building, which cared for 18 T.B. sufferers, open in 1904. Lanfine was also extended to increase the bed capacity to 45 following donations from Dr David Yellowlees and Leonard and JB Gow. Further fundraising led to further improvements of the hospital including a new staff hostel in 1924 and a further extension in 1931. The hospital was ideally sited to provide the fresh air such patients needed. In 1932 a bronze memorial to Beatrice Clugston was unveiled. As modern medicine improved, T.B. became less of a threat and the instances of chronic illness lessened, the hospital enlarged its day room as it was caring for more ambulant patients. During World War II, the hospital cared for 160 patients. The 2 hospitals came under NHS management in 1948. When the hospitals formally amalgamated in 1960, Broomhill had 124 beds for the chronic sick and Lanfine still had 3 designated beds for T.B. By 1961, Lanfine principally cared for geriatrics. The hospital buildings were further added to in 1970 when a new physiotherapy unit, costing £25,000, was opened. The hospital was transferred to the Northern District Of Greater Glasgow Health Board in 1974 and was run as a hospital for the chronically sick until it closed in 1995.
The lodge is presently unoccupied (2013).
Category changed from B to C, (2013).
Other nearby listed buildings