This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2905 / 56°17'25"N
Longitude: -3.2292 / 3°13'45"W
OS Eastings: 324009
OS Northings: 711572
OS Grid: NO240115
Mapcode National: GBR 27.7LGN
Mapcode Global: WH6R1.C4HZ
Plus Code: 9C8R7QRC+58
Entry Name: 3 Burnside, Auchtermuchty
Listing Name: 3 and 5 Burnside
Listing Date: 16 July 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397593
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49902
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Howe of Fife and Tay Coast
Traditional County: Fife
Early to earlier 19th century with later alterations. Irregular pair of 2-storey 3-bay L-plan terraced houses. Coursed whinstone with predominantly long and short sandstone dressings. Stop-chamfered door and window openings to No 3. Base course and broadly pilastered and corniced doorpiece with blocking course to No 5 (painted white). Later bipartite windows to ground floor excepting No 5 right bay.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: (No 3) symmetrical, central door flanked by outer bays, adjoins to No 5 at N. (No 5) near-symmetrical, central doorway with doorpiece.
S ELEVATION: (No 3) blank gable, harled where other property formerly adjoined.
N ELEVATION: (No 5) gable rendered and lined out, window to 1st floor right.
E (ELEVATION): (No 3) 3-bay harled with single storey wing projecting to E. (No 5) 3-bay with polygonal piended dormer to outer left. Openings altered, including modern oculus. Long low single storey wing projecting to E with monopitch roof.
Variety of glazing types. Predominantly timber sash and case to street elevation with 4-pane, plate glass and 4-pane over 2-pane glazing; 8-pane to N. Predominantly modern to rears. Grey slates. Corniced gable stack to No 5, corniced ridge stack at division of properties, off-centre eaves stack to No 3 E elevation.
INTERIOR: No 3, not seen. No 5, modernised.
See also list descriptions for 9 and 11, Avondale and Gasworks House, all Burnside.
These two houses form a good piece of townscape architecture that is characteristic of Auchtermuchty,
particularly in the use of whinstone. A narrow house which adjoined No 3 to the S was demolished in the 20th century. It is difficult to date the houses precisely, the present owners of Nos 3 & 5 both have deeds which date to the later 18th century (No 3 is noted as being built for a spirit dealer in 1762 and was described as the 'Railway Tavern' when it was sold in 1886) but it is not clear if the present building dates from this time.
The stop-chamfers to No 3 and doorpiece and base course to No 5 are likely to be part of later aggrandising work.
Other nearby listed buildings