This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9604 / 55°57'37"N
Longitude: -2.7811 / 2°46'52"W
OS Eastings: 351330
OS Northings: 674428
OS Grid: NT513744
Mapcode National: GBR 2R.XK3W
Mapcode Global: WH7TY.7GX1
Plus Code: 9C7VX669+5H
Entry Name: Extension Wing To W, Templedean House, Florabank Road, Haddington
Listing Name: Florabank Road, Templedean House and West Templedean Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 27 July 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397597
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49904
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Haddington and Lammermuir
Traditional County: East Lothian
Dated 1893. Irregular-plan, 2-storey, 3-bay asymmetrical gabled villa (now Templedean house); c.1903 2-storey wing extension to W (now West Templedean). Squared, snecked sandstone; moulded ashlar dressings; basecourse; long and short quoins. 2 double-height canted bays flanking wide timber porch (added early 20th century) to principal elevation. Prominent double-height canted bay to c.1903 elevation with gabled windows to first floor. Rectangular windows in shouldered-arch surrounds to front. Mullioned and transomed windows to W block. Flat-roofed garage to NW and lean-to porch to NE. SE (TEMPLEDEAN HOUSE) ELEVATION: central stone steps rising to panelled door with sidelights. Arcaded timber porch concealing carved overdoor panels and hoodmould. Gabletted half-dormer above. Slightly advanced wide gabled bay to left with 2-storey canted bay. Date plaque (1893) to gable apex, pointed finial. 2-storey canted bay with polygonal roof to right. Moulded and shouldered openings.
SW (WEST TEMPLEDEAN) ELEVATION: central corniced French door, 3-light fanlight. Single window above. Large canted bay with three shouldered gables to right; bipartite windows to first floor and mullioned and transomed windows to ground floor; partly timber-panelled glazed door in 4-centred arch opening.
NW ELEVATION: M-gable, wallhead stack to valley.
INTERIOR (TEMPLEDEAN HOUSE): encaustic tiles and stained glass to vestibule. Original cornice and panelling to dados. Cast iron barleytwist balusters to stair.
predominately 2 and 4-pane sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; fishscale slates to polygonal bay roof. Corniced ridge and wallhead stacks with octagonal clay cans. Cast iron rainwater goods.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: sandstone rubble boundary walls with chamfered copes. Square-plan gatepiers with pyramidal caps.
Templedean House is a good example of a later 19th century villa, with some later alterations made when it was converted for use as a children's home. The c.1903 extension shows an appreciation for and repetition of the original details of the villa. Templedean was one of a series of Christie Homes (later Lothian Homes Trust) or Girls' Orphanages in and around East Lothian. The Christie Homes were founded by John Christie in Lauriston, Edinburgh in 1889. The first Christie Home was opened in Portobello in 1892. Tenterfield, another orphanage in Haddington, was opened in 1898. Templedean was purchased in 1902 and opened in 1903, presumably after the extension was built. Carmendean, now known as Templedean Hall (immediately to E and separately listed), was opened in 1912.
A postcard of 1903 shows the house without a front porch and with a conservatory to the left of the main elevation. By 1925 the timber porch has been added.
A number of details in the 1903 extension are also found on the 1911-12 Templedean Hall by J.Alexander Carfrae (1868-1947) who was architect to the Edinburgh School Board from 1901-20. The two buildings were linked by a corridor when in use as a childrens' home.
When Templedean Children's home was shut down the link was removed and the house was divided into two separate dwellings, with the front portion now known as Templedean House and the side and rear as West Templedean.
Other nearby listed buildings