This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.3341 / 57°20'2"N
Longitude: -2.328 / 2°19'40"W
OS Eastings: 380354
OS Northings: 827105
OS Grid: NJ803271
Mapcode National: GBR N9MB.D7M
Mapcode Global: WH8NJ.6XQJ
Entry Name: Former Platform Building, Oldmeldrum Station
Listing Date: 3 August 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397601
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49908
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Mid Formartine
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Circa 1900. Single storey, rectangular plan platform building with overhanging eaves; very slightly recessed section to centre and additional flat-roofed bays to either end. Stone base course; timber-boarded throughout. Eaves cornice. Predominantly regular fenestration.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: to centre section, 8-light window with timber door to right; to advanced bay to left, bipartite window (originally tripartite) with later timber door and remains of associated porch to left; to advanced bay to right, tripartite window with timber door (later insertion) to right; single window to both outer (flat-roofed) bays.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: 2 bipartite windows to centre section; 2 windows to both advanced bays; single window to both outer bays.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: window to left; timber door to right.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: window to left; timber door to right.
GLAZING etc: predominantly 3-pane glazing in timber casement windows; 2-pane glazing to flat-roofed sections. Piend-roofed (excluding flat-roofed end bays); dark grey slates; ornamental terracotta ridge tiles and finials. To rear pitch, corniced stone stack with octagonal can.
B-group with Weigh-House and Cart Shed, Oldmeldrum Station.
One of a few remaining good (although slightly altered) examples of the later style of Great North of Scotland Railway wooden platform buildings (similar stations are at Knockando and Longmorn in Speyside). Also of local historical significance. The platform building stands on a low platform which is faced with coursed, squared rubble. Oldmeldrum station opened in 1856 as the terminus of the Inverurie and Old Meldrum Junction Railway, a short branch line which provided a service between Inverurie Station on the Great North of Scotland line and Old Meldrum. In 1866, the Inverurie and Old Meldrum Junction Railway was absorbed by the Great North of Scotland Railway. In 1902 the station was renamed 'Oldmeldrum' (as opposed to its original name of 'Old Meldrum'). It is possible that it was at this time that the current platform building was erected, replacing the original building which stood immediately east of the present building, and which was still extant in 1901. In 1932, passenger services on the line ceased but Oldmeldrum continued to be used by freight traffic. It was especially used for the transport of livestock and agricultural goods; an associated agricultural mart (extant; not listed) was established in the early 20th century to the south-east of the station. In 1966, the station was closed completely by British Rail. Since then the site has been used for various industrial purposes. The brick engine shed (immediately south east of the platform building; not listed) remains, but has undergone significant extension.
Other nearby listed buildings