History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Near East Kinpurnie, Rail Bridge over Former Dundee and Newtyle Railway

A Category C Listed Building in Newtyle, Angus

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.5586 / 56°33'30"N

Longitude: -3.1542 / 3°9'15"W

OS Eastings: 329154

OS Northings: 741330

OS Grid: NO291413

Mapcode National: GBR VF.5WRB

Mapcode Global: WH6PQ.JD6Z

Entry Name: Near East Kinpurnie, Rail Bridge over Former Dundee and Newtyle Railway

Listing Date: 3 August 2004

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397606

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49912

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Newtyle

County: Angus

Electoral Ward: Kirriemuir and Dean

Parish: Newtyle

Traditional County: Angus

Find accommodation in
Meigle

Description

Circa 1868. Single-span, round-arched former railway bridge over field track. Curved wing walls, battered abutments, low parapet. Bull-faced squared rubble, rusticated voussoirs and intrados, smooth ashlar impost and parapet coping.

Statement of Interest

A good example of railway bridge architecture on a deviation of Scotland's first passenger railway.

The Dundee and Newtyle Railway Act received Royal Assent in 1826, and work began on the line in 1827; the line opened in 1831. The line originally ran between Ward Road in Dundee and the village of Newtyle. It was unusual in that it incorporated 3 inclined planes that required stationary engines to pull the trains uphill; these were known as the Law Incline, the Balbuechly Incline and the Hatton Incline. The Hatton Incline was situated just to the SE of Newtyle.

In 1867 the Newtyle Deviation Act was passed, allowing for a deviation to the line to avoid the Hatton Incline, and enabling the line to be used by locomotive engines throughout. It was as part of the deviation that this bridge near East Kinpurnie was built to carry the railway over the footpath which intersected the line of the deviation.

This section of the line was finally closed in 1958.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.