This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8677 / 55°52'3"N
Longitude: -4.1918 / 4°11'30"W
OS Eastings: 262940
OS Northings: 666005
OS Grid: NS629660
Mapcode National: GBR 3V.387F
Mapcode Global: WH4Q7.LS34
Plus Code: 9C7QVR95+37
Entry Name: Hall, St Enoch Hogganfield Church, 860 Cumbernauld Road, Glasgow
Listing Name: 860 Cumbernauld Road, St Enoch Hogganfield Church of Scotland Church Including Hall
Listing Date: 3 August 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397618
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49922
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: East Centre
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
John Keppie & Henderson, 1927-30. Simple Gothic with Art Nouveau influence church with integral hall on corner site. Part-aisled nave with chancel, S transept. Predominantly squared and snecked bull-faced red sandstone with ashlar margins. Predominantly pointed arch openings to church, bellcote.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gabled with central paired entrance with timber 2-leaf round-arched doors. Above, large pointed arch opening with paired tall pointed windows with simple tracery all set in recess. Flanked by stepped recessed butresses.
S ELEVATION: near-central advanced gable of S transept with pair of tall pointed windows with simple tracery. To left, 4 windows of similar type, to far left, small low tripartite window with stone mullions. To right, church hall with near-central entrance and predominantly bipartite mullioned and mullioned and transomed fenestration.
N ELEVATION: dominated by N aisle with bellcote surmounted by stone Celtic cross to right.
Predominantly small leaded pane glazing. Grey slates. Plain railings set on masonry base to N, W and S.
INTERIOR: 4-bay nave with pointed arch arcade to N supported by ashlar columns. Rendered and whitewashed. Open timber hammerbeam ceiling with stone corbels. Pointed arch chancel with dado height oak panelling, organ and simple Gothic oak screen. En suite oak pulpit, communion table and lectern. Inset memorial stone dated 1780 from previous Saltmarket St Enoch. 3 modern stained glass panels. Gallery to W. Plain timber pews.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Prominently sited on a corner site and straddling Cumbernauld Road and Smithycroft Road this is a good example of the work of John Keppie & Henderson. An earlier timber framed hall circa 1923 to the N also by Keppie & Henderson was demolished about 1992.
Other nearby listed buildings