This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.5782 / 57°34'41"N
Longitude: -3.8725 / 3°52'21"W
OS Eastings: 288120
OS Northings: 855779
OS Grid: NH881557
Mapcode National: GBR J8TP.LTD
Mapcode Global: WH4G2.HS4C
Plus Code: 9C9RH4HG+7X
Entry Name: Nairn Town And County Hospital, Cawdor Road, Nairn
Listing Name: Cawdor Road, Nairn Town and County Hospital
Listing Date: 27 July 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397646
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49942
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Nairn and Cawdor
Traditional County: Nairnshire
1904 - 1906 (1906 datestone) hospital designed by William Mackintosh of Inverness (fl. 1870-1913) (Gifford 1992, 281, 666). Symmetrical renaissance composition, quite decorative and broadly formulaic in design: three blocks linked by recessed porches, full-length spinal corridor inside, wards leading off either side. 2-storey 3-bay central administrative block with bipartite windows throughout, shallow-advanced centre with curvilinear gable; outer ward blocks with L-plan fronts, big 3-light windows in their front gables. Stugged and snecked grey ashlar with dressed details and sculptural ornament (for instance, window pediments); plate-glass windows - characteristic hospital-type windows at ground level (2-pane sash and case and top hopper); orthodox sash and case windows on upper level. Kneelered skews, ball-finialed gable-heads; end and rear wall-head chimney stacks (some reduced in height). Slate roofs.
Plainer architecture at the rear, but for the maternity wing (opened 1932 by Lady Leven), a handsome revivalist composition with multi-paned windows on 2 levels. Designed almost like a medieval great hall: its main front a long wall with mullioned and transomed ground floor windows (again, with hoppers incorporated at ground level; pedimented dormers in attic above), the left hand bay with a giant window lighting a communal space. Ward blocks (again, leading off a long corridor which has a modern link to the main block) occupy the ground floor. Harled walls, dressed ashlar detailing and stacks; slate roof. An Out-Patient Department was also added shortly after World War II.
All set in open landscaped grounds, with specimen trees; low perimeter wall to street (railings removed); panelled gatepiers (no gates).
Built as a voluntary hospital in the pavilion style with low ward blocks. This was a common design for late 19th/early 20th century hospitals and here a villa design has also been incorporated which is enhanced by its setting of planted grounds (cf the 1904 Stirling, Kildean Day Hospital). Continues in use as a hospital (2004).
Other nearby listed buildings