This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0248 / 56°1'29"N
Longitude: -3.4031 / 3°24'11"W
OS Eastings: 312643
OS Northings: 682212
OS Grid: NT126822
Mapcode National: GBR 20.SHD8
Mapcode Global: WH6S3.PTNN
Entry Name: Hope Street, St Peter's Episcopal Church Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 4 August 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397658
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49948
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
Traditional County: Fife
Henry F Kerr, 1903; chancel extended 1910. Single storey and basement (in fall of ground to E), 6-bay, rectangular-plan plain Arts & Crafts church. Snecked whinstone rubble; rendered chancel. Smooth ashlar dressings. Pitched timber bellcote to W gablehead; pitched timber porch to S; angle buttresses to chancel; semi-octagonal vestry to S.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: pitched-roof, timber-framed and glazed porch with overhanging eaves on snecked ashlar base and glazed and timber boarded double doors to far left; 3 windows to right of porch. Semi-octagonal vestry with 2 small windows and timber boarded door to penultimate bay right; basement and ground floor windows to far right.
E ELEVATION: gable end. Large central, hoodmoulded, pointed-arch window with 3 lancets, plain diamond pane stained glass; tabbed ashlar dressings. Small stone cross finial to gablehead.
N ELEVATION: 6 bays. 5 ground floor windows (penultimate bay left blank); basement window to far left.
W ELEVATION: gable end. 2 windows. Timber bellcote corbelled out at gablehead under pointed stone arch with triangular coping.
2-paned timber windows with lattice pane plain stained glass to upper pane and shaped lower timber frame of pseudo-gothic design. Pitched roof; overhanging bracketed eaves; red concrete pantiles.
BOUNDARY WALL: coped coursed rubble boundary wall to W along Hope Street with low metal gate opening to right.
INTERIOR: timber false hammerbeam roof; low round hoodmoulded ashlar arch leading to chancel (partially blocked by plywood barrier forming double door access, 2003); blind curvilinear traceried oak panelling to dado height surrounding chancel. Small square stone baptismal with octagonal shaft, carved cruciform decoration to bowl.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. An example of Arts and Crafts church architecture somewhat unusual to the local area. This church was built on a portion of land called Sickman's Acre on the W side of Inverkeithing Bay. St Peter's Episcopal was dedicated on 13 June 1903 by Bishop Wilkinson; the later extension forming the new chancel was dedicated on 30 October 1910. Henry Francis Kerr ARIBA, FSAScot (1855-1946) was articled to F T Pilkington and John Bell of Edinburgh from 1873-1878 and was later a draughtsman in the same practice. Kerr commenced independent practice in Edinburgh in 1881 and was president of the Edinburgh Architectural Association in 1900. Kerr was mostly known for his domestic and church architecture. Among his other commissions were the church of St Oswald's, Montpelier, Bruntsfield (1899-1900); student settlement and mission buildings, The Pleasance, Edinburgh (1893); a proposal for Trinity Congregational (1895); Dalry Mission Buildings (1898); and Dalziel United Free Church, Motherwell (1913). He also designed a number of modest Arts and Crafts houses in North Queensferry, Colinton and the Edinburgh suburbs.
Other nearby listed buildings