This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.199 / 57°11'56"N
Longitude: -2.0714 / 2°4'16"W
OS Eastings: 395785
OS Northings: 812022
OS Grid: NJ957120
Mapcode National: GBR XS.46P2
Mapcode Global: WH9QK.4BW1
Plus Code: 9C9V5WXH+HC
Entry Name: Salmon Netting Station, Berryhill
Listing Name: Berryhill Salmon Netting Station
Listing Date: 11 August 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397676
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49960
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Old Machar
Electoral Ward: Bridge of Don
Parish: Old Machar
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Early 19th century. Long, low single storey rectangular building with modern breeze-block extension to W gable-end and timber-boarded fish store adjoining E gable-end. Predominantly harled random rubble.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 5-bay elevation to central stone-built section; window openings with timber lintels and timber-boarded shutters to 1st, 3rd and 5th bays from left; timber boarded doors in doorways with timber lintels to 2nd and 4th bays from left. To fish store to right, timber boarded door to left.
N ELEVATION: blank elevation.
E ELEVATION: gable-end of timber fish store with boarded window opening to right.
W ELEVATION: gable-end of modern tractor store with 2-leaf metal doors.
WINDOWS etc: timber-boarded window openings; timber lintels. Corrugated iron pitched roof; brick skews. Harled gable-head stacks to both ends of central block; circular can to W stack.
INTERIOR: stone built section divided into 2 rooms, both fully timber-lined to walls and ceilings. Net store to E side; to W side, living accommodation including open range, pair of 2-tier bunk beds; (originally 3-tier), gas light to ceiling.
Still in use as a netting station.
Listed as a good example of a small salmon fishing station with unusually complete interior.
The 1st Edition OS Map (1869) shows two smaller buildings and an icehouse also on the site. This map also show that the existing building was T-plan at this time, with a small outshot to the N elevation. The 2nd edition map (1901) shows the existing building without the outshot, and only one other building and the icehouse. The other building and the icehouse are no longer extant.
Other nearby listed buildings