This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1128 / 56°6'46"N
Longitude: -3.7901 / 3°47'24"W
OS Eastings: 288781
OS Northings: 692558
OS Grid: NS887925
Mapcode National: GBR 1K.LSLL
Mapcode Global: WH5QD.RMC7
Plus Code: 9C8R4675+4X
Entry Name: Despatch Warehouse, Kilncraigs Mills, Alloa
Listing Name: Greenside Street, Kilncraigs Despatch Warehouse
Listing Date: 12 June 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397690
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49975
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Clackmannanshire South
Traditional County: Clackmannanshire
William Kerr, John Melvin & Son Architects, 1936 with 1924 fabric at basement and ground, and later link. 6-storey and basement, 9-bay (bays grouped 1-7-1) International Modern style former despatch warehouse attached to 1903 Office Block at E (listed separately). Whitewashed reinforced concrete with steel superstructure over coursed and snecked dressed red sandstone with dressed margins and rusticated quoins (except to link), and some brick at ground.
N ELEVATION: regularly-fenestrated bays, bipartite windows to ground (except outer right) and horizontally-emphasised glazing, reducing in height, to each floor above. Slightly recessed later link bay to left with pilastered bays and vertical glazing at 3rd and 4th floors echoing 1904 building.
W ELEVATION: ground floor with 2 steel shutter doors, that to centre block-pedimented, and blocked window to left. Regular fenestration above as N elevation.
S ELEVATION: mirrors N elevation but altered at ground.
E ELEVATION: adjoins 1904 building;
Multi-paned iron-framed casement windows (many removed for safety but stored within the building). Slated, piended multi-pitched roof with horizontal lights.
INTERIOR: H-section reinforced steel columns support splayed primary reinforced concrete joists. Steel columns and beams stamped Dorman Long & Co Ltd, Middlesborough and Skinningrove England British Steel. Open-plan floor areas with supporting columns and original timber floors. Some earlier cast-iron columns at basement.
The former despatch warehouse and adjoining office and factory building are the sole survivors of the once extensive Patons and Baldwins Mill which operated in Alloa from as early as 1814 until final closure in 1999. The despatch warehouse formerly had a large single storey range projecting across the whole width of the south elevation. Although no signed drawings have been found, the plain style of this building is mirrored in other buildings within the town, the Alloa Co-Operative being one example, which were designed by William Kerr. Formerly with a single storey range of industrial buildings projecting at the south elevation. See also Notes to listing of Kilncraigs (office block).
Up-graded to category A August 2004.
Other nearby listed buildings