This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1627 / 56°9'45"N
Longitude: -3.4205 / 3°25'13"W
OS Eastings: 311880
OS Northings: 697576
OS Grid: NT118975
Mapcode National: GBR 1Z.HRJ4
Mapcode Global: WH6RJ.FCFG
Plus Code: 9C8R5H7H+3R
Entry Name: Dowhill
Listing Name: Dowhill Including Former Stable Block, Courtyard, Ha-Ha and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 5 October 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397800
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49994
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Kinross-shire
Traditional County: Kinross-shire
Simple, original 18th century 3-bay, 2-storey house still discernable from garden (N) elevation. Aggrandised in the earlier 19th century with the addition of large L-shaped multi-gabled wing wrapped around the N and E elevations creating a country house in the fashion of William Burn. Tooled sandstone with ashlar margins, droved ashlar to original house at rear. Tudor-Gothic hoodmoulds to window openings, predominantly multi-paned timber sash and case windows.
Pitched grey slate roofs with ashlar gabled dormer windows to garden elevation.
Paired and tripled square-plan ashlar stacks with polygonal decorated cans. Decorative 'gothic' cast-iron hoppers to rainwater goods.
Advanced crow-stepped gable to far left of principal S elevation with single storey portico set to re-entrant angle, timber entrance door with lying-pane glazing to upper section, geometric fanlight. Further 2-storey gabled wing set aside with a succession of advanced single storey blocks; that to immediate right with a shaped gable and heraldic shield set within, further block with crow-stepped gables crowned by squat ashlar crucifix to gable end. 1st floor windows breaking eaves with gabled ashlar pediments to E elevation. Garden elevation; large canted window at ground to gabled wing. Original house to centre; ashlar doorpiece; square-plan columns supporting gabled pediment, door similar to that of principal elevation, ornamental buttress to left rising to above 1st floor level. Single storey wing to left with similar buttress to left rising to below eaves. Late 20th century conservatory to far left.
L-plan former stable and office block to W of house; random rubble with slate pitched roof. N range converted to domestic use, W still functioning as outbuildings. Adjoining rubble wall with lean-to outbuildings enclosing site to S, cobblestones to forecourt.
Ha-Ha; random rubble dry stone dyke running to N, W and S of formal gardens.
Gate Piers; low rounded ashlar piers with hemi-spherical caps situated close to B9097.
Dowhill nestles very pleasingly within its own small estate dominated by the dramatic backdrop of the Cleish Hills. Originally known as Barns House, it was the seat of the Burt family, the New Statistical Account describes them as 'a respectable family of Kinrossshire'. In 1750 the house came into the ownership of Robert Burt who was the factor of the adjoining Blair Adam Estate, home of John Adam and family. In 1768 his son, Henry, took over as factor and continued to reside at Barns House. John Adam allowed Henry to take from his nurseries whatever trees he wished to plant on the Barns Estate 'so that the property was cultivated and planted with trees in a manner similar to that of Blair Adam, so much so, that they almost appear to be the work of the same person' (The New Statistical Account). It should be noted that much of this fine planting still survives. At some point the Burts left Barns House and the house and estate came into the ownership of the Adam family becoming the dower house to the Blair Adam Estate. It is of interest to note that the 2nd edition map still names the house as Barns, thus becoming known as Dowhill at some point in the 20th century.
Access to interior of house not gained at time of survey (2004).
Other nearby listed buildings