This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4799 / 55°28'47"N
Longitude: -2.6753 / 2°40'31"W
OS Eastings: 357416
OS Northings: 620884
OS Grid: NT574208
Mapcode National: GBR 95R2.LF
Mapcode Global: WH7X9.WJ7D
Plus Code: 9C7VF8HF+XV
Entry Name: Boundary Walls, Minto Estate Former Dairy, Cleughhead
Listing Name: Cleughhead, Minto Estate Former Dairy, Including Boundary Walls, Garden Steps, Gate and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 7 October 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397809
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50000
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Hawick and Denholm
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
Early 20th century 2-storey 3-bay rectangular-plan symmetrical Arts and Crafts former dairy with shallow-pitched bell-cast piended roof and central timber porch. Grey sandstone random rubble; red and grey sandstone dressings. Harled to NE (rear). Diocletian windows. Single-storey projections to NE and SE.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: entrance through bell-cast roofed porch with timber arcade on stone dwarf wall. Timber boarded door, glazed to upper third. Diocletian windows at ground and first floors. NW ELEVATION: central Diocletian window at ground floor, bullseye window with radial glazing over.
The former Dairy at Cleuchhead is an excellent example of an early 20th century formal agricultural building. The dairy belongs to a small group of picturesque farm buildings of the period in Scotland (for example at Rosehaugh, Ross and Cromarty ' see separate listing).
The complex at Cleuchhead constitutes the home farm for the former Minto estate. An oblong building is shown on the site of the
present dairy on the 1st and 2nd edition maps, but this appears to have been demolished to make way for the present building. On the c.1916-19 map there appears to have been a matching pair of buildings, with a second building to the NE of the dairy, since demolished. The Minto Estate papers record a proposal in 1905 to build a new dairy and move the carpenter's shop, which possible refers to the existing building on the site. This proposal was abandoned in 1907, but it is thought that some time after that the plan to build the present dairy was carried out.