This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.1925 / 55°11'33"N
Longitude: -3.8664 / 3°51'58"W
OS Eastings: 281284
OS Northings: 590282
OS Grid: NX812902
Mapcode National: GBR 18FD.QF
Mapcode Global: WH4TP.LR26
Plus Code: 9C7R54VM+2C
Entry Name: Signpost At Junction Of A702 And B729, Kirkland
Listing Name: Kirkland, Signpost at Junction of A702 and B729
Listing Date: 10 November 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397821
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50010
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Mid and Upper Nithsdale
Traditional County: Dumfriesshire
Probably inter-war with later extensions to arms. Painted cast-iron signpost with 3 arms. Tapered post painted in black and white stripes with faceted lower half and cylindrical upper half; ring shafts, ball finial and small shied bearing raised letters DCC. White-painted cast- iron arms with black raised lettering (see Notes) and black-painted edges; later extensions at end of arms with road numbers.
Situated just East of Kirkland (near Moniaive). This type of road sign, or 'fingerpost' was once ubiquitous on the roads of Scotland, and is an important part of the history of road transport. Most of these signposts have now been replaced by modern signs which are more legible to fast-moving traffic. However, other fingerposts are known
to survive in Ayrshire and East Lothian. Although a number of fingerposts exist on the minor roads of Dumfries and Galloway, many of them have lost either their original post or arms or parts thereof, and very few of now survive in anything approaching their original condition. The five best surviving known examples of this type of free-standing signpost in Dumfries and Galloway have been selected for statutory listing in recognition of their attractive design, historical importance and present scarcity. The other signposts are located at Loch Head (near Elrig, Wigtownshire), Corsock, Old Bridge of Urr, and Haugh of Urr. The design of the Corsock signpost is identical to the Haugh of Urr signpost, and they were made by the same manufacturer. The other signposts are all slightly different. A signpost is marked on this spot on the 2nd edition OS map (GP on the map stands for Guide Post). It is not known whether this is the first post, or a later replacement. There are 3 arms to the post. One is for A702 THORNHILL 6 ½; one is for A702 MONIAIVE 2 ½; the last is for DUMFRIES 14 ½ B729. DCC on the shield stands for Dumfries County Council. In 1930 a Ministry of Transport Memorandum specified that the arms of direction signs should have square ends, so it is likely that this sign dates from after 1930.
Other nearby listed buildings