This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.8107 / 54°48'38"N
Longitude: -4.6037 / 4°36'13"W
OS Eastings: 232775
OS Northings: 549314
OS Grid: NX327493
Mapcode National: GBR HH0Z.V9P
Mapcode Global: WH3V4.8B0W
Plus Code: 9C6QR96W+7G
Entry Name: Signpost, Lochead
Listing Name: Lochead, Signpost
Listing Date: 23 November 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397852
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50023
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West
Traditional County: Wigtownshire
Circa 1935 or 1950, with probably later arms. Painted cast-iron signpost with 4 arms. Tapered, green-painted post with ring shafts. Hoop finial inscribed SCOTTISH AUTOMOBILE CLUB in raised lettering; St Andrew's Cross in centre of hoop. White-painted cast-iron arms with black raised lettering (see Notes) and black-painted edges.
Situated at the cross roads in Lochhead, North of Elrig and Mochrum. This type of road sign, or 'fingerpost' was once ubiquitous on the roads of Scotland, and is an important part of the history of road transport. Most of these signposts have now been replaced by modern signs which are more legible to fast-moving traffic. However, other fingerposts are known to survive in Ayrshire and East Lothian. Although a number of fingerposts exist on the minor roads of Dumfries and Galloway, many of them have lost either their original post or arms or parts thereof, and very few of now survive in anything approaching their original condition. The five best surviving known examples of this type of free-standing signpost in Dumfries and Galloway have been selected for statutory listing in recognition of their attractive design, historical importance and present scarcity. The other signposts are located at Kirkland (near Moniaive), Corsock, Old Bridge of Urr, and Haugh of Urr. The design of the Corsock signpost is identical to the Haugh of Urr signpost, and they were made by the same manufacturer. The other signposts are all slightly different. There are 4 arms to the post. One is for KIRKOWAN VIA DRUMWALT 9 ½; one is for MOCHRUM 2 ½ and PORT WILLIAM 4 ½; one is for ELRIG VILLAGE 1 ¼, PORT WILLIAM 4 ½, and GLENLUCE 13 ¼; the last is for KIRKCOWAN VIA MALZIE 10 and WIGTOWN 8 ½. The arms of this post are likely to be late 20th century replacements: this part of the sign was usually cast in zinc, and would therefore not rust (unlike mild steel replacements).