This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.939 / 54°56'20"N
Longitude: -3.9317 / 3°55'54"W
OS Eastings: 276346
OS Northings: 562193
OS Grid: NX763621
Mapcode National: GBR 0CZB.L9
Mapcode Global: WH4W0.K3ZZ
Entry Name: 193 & 195 King Street, the Merrick Hotel
Listing Date: 13 January 2005
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397902
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50048
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Castle Douglas
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Castle Douglas and Crocketford
Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire
Earlier 19th century. 3-storey, 5-bay, L-plan, piend-roofed, astylar classical former coaching inn on corner site at prominent road junction with 20th century shop front and lower 2-storey, 2 bay gabled wing to rear. Painted sandstone ashlar; random rubble to wing and rear with ashlar dressings. Base course; channelled ashlar at ground; band course (partially obscured by later shop front); corniced cill course at 1st floor; eaves cornice; blocking course. Raised, corniced window margins at 1st floor; unmargined windows with projecting cills at 2nd floor; raised window margins with projecting cills to wing and rear; chamfered corner at ground to right, corbelled to square at 1st floor.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; 4 non-traditional uPVC windows to NW and SW elevations. Corniced stacks with some yellow clay cans. Graded grey slate.
INTERIOR: Some decorative cornicing; working shutters to some windows.
This former coaching inn, which makes a very positive contribution to the streetscape, occupies a prominent position on the corner of King Street and St Andrew Street. The location is a good one for a coaching inn, as it is at the junction of the old London-Portpatrick Road (which runs East-West) and the main roads leading North (to Ayr) and South to East Stewartry. The building is of a good early 19th century classical design, slightly marred by the uPVC windows on the 1st floor, and the later shop front on King Street. 'Buildings of Scotland' dates it to about 1840, but it may very well be earlier. John Ainslie's 1797 map of Stewartry, and John Thomson's 1821 Map of Kirkcudbrightshire both show buildings on this spot. The ground floor is occupied by a Chinese restaurant (2004).
Other nearby listed buildings