This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.6362 / 57°38'10"N
Longitude: -3.2859 / 3°17'9"W
OS Eastings: 323322
OS Northings: 861418
OS Grid: NJ233614
Mapcode National: GBR L87J.ZFF
Mapcode Global: WH6JF.HBJD
Plus Code: 9C9RJPP7+FJ
Entry Name: Ancillary Building, Linkwood House
Listing Name: Linkwood House Including Ancillary Building, Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 4 March 2005
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397944
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50086
Building Class: Cultural
Location: St Andrews-Lhanbryd
Electoral Ward: Elgin City South
Parish: St Andrews-Lhanbryd
Traditional County: Morayshire
Late 18th to early 19th century and earlier 19th century, reworked mid 19th century. Single storey, 2-storey and 2-storey with attic, 5-bay crowstepped house with corbelled Jacobean entrance bay with nepus gable and castellated windowheads. Whitewashed harl with contrasting sandstone ashlar dressings and quoin strips. Base and string courses. Moulded basket-arched doorpiece; chamfered arrises and stone mullions.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical 3-bay block to left with advanced gabled bay at centre comprising rounded angles at ground corbelled to square at 1st floor, panelled timber door with 2-part fanlight in moulded doorpiece rising into blind panel, 1st floor window and semicircular pediment surmounted by relief-carved 5-pointed star; small glazed light in nepus gable; returns with single window to each floor at left and to ground floor right; flanking bays each with square-plan wide-centre tripartite at ground, single window at 1st floor and tiny timber-pedimented dormer window above. Earlier, slightly set-back lower bays to right of centre with full-height castellated bay incorporating wide-centre tripartite window to each floor at left and single window to each floor at right.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: variety of elements to altered elevation including single storey piended wing with gable and castellated window in bays to right and piended pavilion bay at outer right. Bays to left with 2-storey gable and lean-to link obscuring early circular window. Ancillary building (see below) projecting at outer left angle.
4-, 12-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with polygonal cans and ashlar-coped skews with beak skewputts. Decorative bargeboarding and timber finials to dormers.
INTERIOR: much interior detail retained including moulded cornices (some renewed), coombed ceilings, 6-panelled doors, panelled shutters, picture rails, marble and timber fire surrounds (some imported). Panelled porch with part-glazed 2-leaf screen door, stair hall with timber dog-leg staircase, barley-twist balusters and ball-finialled newels leading to landing with segmental-arched openings and round-arched niche.
ANCILLARY BUILDING: 2-storey harled former meat store with glazed and louvered openings, slate slab shelf and stone flag floor.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: flat-coped quadrant walls with pyramidally-coped, stop-chamfered, square-section ashlar gatepiers and hoopwork gates and high rubble boundary walls to rear garden.
Built in a fine setting overlooking the Morayshire countryside and shielded from the Model Farm to its rear by enclosing walls, Linkwood House also retains good interior details. It was successfully transformed in the mid 19th century from a modest farmhouse into a rather more grand residence for the owner of the nearby Linkwood Distillery. A photograph taken in 1856 shows two plain centre door dwellings, that to right being the earliest with simple canopied door, and that to left taller and broader with a fairly large single storey conical-roofed projecting porch with moulded doorway. Another photograph dated 1861 shows the later block exactly as it appears today, with a single storey and attic, 3-bay cottage adjoining at the left (SW); the earlier bays to the right are obscured by a tree. An early conservatory was destroyed by a hurricane in 1987, and subsequently replaced. Shaw mentions "several handsome houses in the parish, particularly at Linkswood (sic)".
Other nearby listed buildings