This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.3882 / 55°23'17"N
Longitude: -2.6551 / 2°39'18"W
OS Eastings: 358595
OS Northings: 610662
OS Grid: NT585106
Mapcode National: GBR 96W4.Z9
Mapcode Global: WH8YV.5TXQ
Plus Code: 9C7V98QV+7X
Entry Name: Boundary Walls, Nether Swansheil House, Hobkirk
Listing Name: Hobkirk, Nether Swansheil House and Steading (Former Hobkirk Manse) Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 11 April 2005
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397985
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50111
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Hawick and Denholm
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
1770; 19th century additions. 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan former manse. Pilastered doorpiece, prominent canted 3-light windows; crowstepped gablet centred above main entrance. Cement rendered; red sandstone dressings.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Central corniced and pilastered doorpiece, timber panelled door, 5-pane rectangular fanlight; flanked by prominent, wide canted 3-light windows. Earlier19th century arrangement of bipartite windows at 1st floor (painted and glazed blind window to centre and left). Crowstepped coped gablet to centre (chimney stack formerly set to apex).
N (SIDE) ELEVATION: plain gable end to left (18th century house); 2-storey, 2-bay, 19th century extension to right.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: double-gabled (19th century extensions; wider gable to right), 4 bays at ground floor. 1st floor window off-centre right.
S (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end to right (18th century house) with ground and 1st floor windows to left; 2-storey, 2-bay 19th century extension to left, canted earlier 20th century dormer.
Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case widows (short upper sashes); 4-pane timber sash and case windows to centre light of canted windows. Pitched roofs; grey slates; straight stone skews (18th century phase); coped ashlar gable end stacks; circular clay cans.
INTERIOR: cantilevered stair with decorative cast-iron balusters and mahogany handrail to centre of plan (formerly external stair tower, incorporated into 19th century additions to rear). Flagstone pantry.
STEADING: single-storey, L-plan steading (NE stable block later 18th century; SW block with barn, cartsheds and bothy (at upper floor) added in later 19th century). Narrow squared snecked red sandstone rubble and droved sandstone rybats to 18th century block; random red sandstone rubble to 19th century block). Original boarded timber stalls and fittings to stable; cobbled floor. S elevation: 3 bays. 2 arched cartshed (in-filled with aluminium garage doors) to right, door to left. E elevation: 6 bays. 8-pane timber sash and case windows; timber boarded doors.
BOUNDARY WALL: tall random rubble coped wall to N and S of house enclosing front garden and dividing front from former glebe grounds to rear; lower drystone wall further N.
This former manse was renamed when it was sold by the Church of Scotland in 1997. This house demonstrates an interesting local variation of the plain classical manse with a good doorpiece and crowstepped gablet in place of a pediment. Substantial alterations circa 1835 with prominent canted windows and bipartite windows. There is an unusual arrangement of blind (glazed) windows.