This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.2618 / 57°15'42"N
Longitude: -2.6456 / 2°38'44"W
OS Eastings: 361155
OS Northings: 819200
OS Grid: NJ611192
Mapcode National: GBR M9TJ.JRK
Mapcode Global: WH8NR.BQFW
Plus Code: 9C9V7963+PQ
Entry Name: Glebe Field Hall, Keig
Listing Name: Keig, Glebe Field Hall and Stables
Listing Date: 18 July 2005
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398017
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50132
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Huntly, Strathbogie and Howe of Alford
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Probably John Smith, 1834; E range converted 1930s. Pair of single storey and attic, gabled ranges originally U-plan steading with N range now reduced to linking boundary wall enclosing courtyard incorporating former stable with hayloft to W and further range converted to hall at E. Lime harl over rubble.
STABLE AND HAYLOFT: rectangular-plan range.
SE ELEVATION: gabled elevation incorporating door to right at ground and hayloft opening in gablehead, both with boarded timber doors.
SW ELEVATION: door to left of centre with 2 small air vents to right.
NW ELEVATION: gabled elevation with 2 windows at ground and single window in gablehead.
NE ELEVATION: courtyard elevation with broad 2-leaf boarded timber door at right and further opening to left.
HALL: L-plan range.
SE ELEVATION: gabled elevation with 2 windows at round and further window in gablehead.
NE ELEVATION: 2 widely-spaced ventilation slits, now glazed.
NW ELEVATION: gabled elevation with later small lean-to timber porch at right of centre.
SW ELEVATION: courtyard elevation with almost full-height gabled projection at outer left incorporating deep-set door on return to right, window immediately to right on set-back face of hall. Modern windows. Stable range with Scotch slate, hall with Welsh slate. Ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts.
LINK WALL: semicircular-coped rubble wall linking NW elevations and forming U-plan courtyard. Small ventilation-type opening to left and broad pedestrian opening to right.
INTERIORS: hall altered 1930s, stable largely renewed.
The former church hall and stable range are listed for their early date and strategic setting as part of the fine early group comprising the separately listed former manse and Keig Church. Both church and manse were designed by Aberdeen architect John Smith. Situated on raised ground, the group was erected just a few years after the nearby Castle Forbes (1815-21) and Telford's Bridge of Keig (1817). This small steading-type courtyard is referred to in early documents as 'offices to the manse'. The east range was converted to accommodate the church hall during 1930s, with evidence of an earlier fireplace behind the sink in the northerly kitchen, possibly indicative of a former bothy. The Third Statistical Account declares 'The Rev J Stewart (1906-37),' , had part of the manse steading converted into a hall which has been a valuable parish asset'. The parishes of Keig, Tullynessle and Alford have now (2005) joined and worship together at Alford; Keig Church (owned by Keig Church Trust) still holds occasional services.