This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6755 / 55°40'31"N
Longitude: -4.0666 / 4°3'59"W
OS Eastings: 270139
OS Northings: 644375
OS Grid: NS701443
Mapcode National: GBR 021T.DB
Mapcode Global: WH4R8.HLRZ
Entry Name: Strathaven , Kirk Street and Thomson Street, Former Strathaven Public Hall
Listing Date: 9 August 2005
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398035
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50142
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Avondale and Stonehouse
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Alexander Cullen, 1895-18966. 2-storey rectangular-plan former public hall (now Strathaven Scout and Guide centre) with Baroque detailing. 4 bays to Kirk Street and 8 bays to Thomson Street Curved corner; corbelled turret with bell-cast dome. Gibbsian doorpiece. Squared and snecked red sandstone to front block. Squared and snecked yellow sandstone to rear hall block. Red sandstone ashlar dressings. Base course, cill course. Band course to eaves. Long and short raised ashlar quoins to front block. Situated on ground sloping to NW.
SE ENTRANCE (KIRK STREET) ELEVATION: asymmetrical, entrance through Roman Doric doorpiece of blocked Gibbs-style columns with broken pediment containing decorative monogrammed railings (SPH) to base of window above. Timber panelled doors in glazed brick arch. 2 wide round-headed ground floor windows to right; 1 to left. Stepped gable to right containing Venetian window with Gibbs surrounds and cornices at 1st floor. 2 first floor windows to left. Corbelled corner turret with 3 recatngualr windows in Gibbs surrounds. Cornice at eaves level, memorial stone below.
SW (THOMSON STREET) ELEVATION: 2-bay entrance block block to right with wide round-arched window to the right and 2 small windows with a round-arched stair window above. Remaining 6 bays to hall to left slightly recessed with 4 bays of round-headed windows between 2 bays of irregular fenestration. Slightly advanced 3-storey gabled left bay with blind oculus.
NE ELEVATION: as SW elevation with steel fire escape to SE and brick stair to NW.
INTERIOR: access to the interior not obtained (2004).
PVCu glazing (replacing a variety of glazing styles). Graded grey slate roofs; piended to front block. Gablehead stack to rear. Cast iron rainwater goods.
This is a good example of a public hall of the late 19th century; located on a prominent corner site, this well-detailed building is the work of Alexander Cullen, a well known Lanarkshire architect.
Work on Strathaven Public Hall began in 1895, financed by the local residents, who became shareholders in the Strathaven Public Hall Company. The accommodation consisted of a main hall with seating for 600 and a lesser hall with seating for 130, as well as a number of meeting rooms and offices. The halls were used for a variety of purposes, including as a library for the Mutual Improvement Association, a cinema and for housing troops. The hall closed in 1969 and was acquired for the Strathaven Scouts and Guides in 1975. Some alterations have been carried out since then. Earlier photographs show a large wallhead stack adjacent to the turret. It is also likely that the dome held a lantern, or finial. In more recent years, the glazing has been replaced.
Alexander Cullen (1857-1911) was a prominent architect in the Glasgow and Lanarkshire areas particularly around Hamilton and Motherwell. Cullen and his practice Cullen, Lochhead and Brown, which he founded in 1902, were responsible for a number of public buildings. This included Police stations, libraries, hospitals, schools and churches. Among the best-known of these is Hamilton Municipal Buildings (1906-1907, also listed). Cullen was also for a time the architect to Lanarkshire County Council.
Other nearby listed buildings