This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5126 / 55°30'45"N
Longitude: -4.4856 / 4°29'8"W
OS Eastings: 243144
OS Northings: 627125
OS Grid: NS431271
Mapcode National: GBR 3H.TMCZ
Mapcode Global: WH3QQ.2P8T
Plus Code: 9C7QGG77+3Q
Entry Name: The Former Lorimer Library, 52-54 Montgomerie Street
Listing Name: 52-54 Montgomerie Street, the Former Lorimer Library
Listing Date: 26 January 2005
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398140
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50058
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kyle
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Gabriel Andrew, 1879. Single storey, roughly cruciform-plan gabled library with neo-Norman detailing, large canted gable bay to front and round-arched windows. Red sandstone ashlar; random rubble to sides and rear. Rubble base course; projecting window cills; eaves course. Roll-moulded window and door margins; moulded skewputts to central gable.
WEST (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: hoodmoulded tripartite window to central advanced gable with tall central light and pilaster mullions: THE LORIMER LIBRARY inscribed in raised stone above window; semi-circular hood-mould above with carved ball stops. Moulded roundel (possibly for clock face) to gable apex. Hoodmoulded round-arched windows to canted sides. Recessed wings to each side: timber-boarded door with fanlight to left; window to right.
OTHER ELEVATIONS: gables to N and E; M-gabled to S; later addition to SE corner.
Plate glass in timber sash and case windows. Coped, shouldered stacks with some octagonal yellow clay cans. Ashlar-coped skews. Graded grey slate.
Occupies a prominent position on Tarbolton's principal thoroughfare. The building was funded by John Lorimer, a wealthy businessman from Tarbolton. The building originally comprised a library, reading room, recreation room and caretaker's room. An old photograph shows that there was originally a low boundary wall with railings in front of the library. Although the roundel on the front gable was probably intended to hold a clock face, this does not seem to have ever been fitted. Gabriel Andrew (1851-1933) was one of the foremost architects in Kilmarnock during the late 19th and early 20th century. He mainly designed commercial buildings, and was the retained architect for Johnnie Walker & Sons of Kilmarnock. The Lorimer library is the earliest building currently known to be by him.
Other nearby listed buildings