This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.7035 / 56°42'12"N
Longitude: -2.5376 / 2°32'15"W
OS Eastings: 367177
OS Northings: 756999
OS Grid: NO671569
Mapcode National: GBR VW.LNMK
Mapcode Global: WH8RH.ZRRV
Plus Code: 9C8VPF36+CW
Entry Name: Gardener's Cottage, Old Montrose
Listing Name: Old Montrose, Walled Garden, Garden Buildings, and Gardener's Cottage
Listing Date: 13 April 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398193
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50233
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Montrose and District
Traditional County: Angus
Late 18th century walled garden and garden buildings. Situated to N of house, large square brick walled garden with further semi-circular walled garden adjoining to E; N wall partly demolished. To the NW corner of the larger garden is small cluster of buildings including Grieve's House (see separate listing), a single storey brick rectangular-plan building with corrugated iron roof (formerly used as gasworks, and a 4-bay, 2-storey stable block with central cart entrance (with a fine joggle-jointed lintel) and window with re-used roll-moulded lintel. To the centre of both gardens are mono-pitch potting sheds. To the SW corner of the larger garden is a square-plan, single storey brick garden building (bothy) with an octagonal stone stack at the apex of a pyramidal pavilion roof (roof largely collapsed); the SE corner has a similar 2-storey building, known as the apple house.
Gardener's Cottage: later 18th century. Situated to SW of house, this is a rectangular plan, single storey and basement cottage with small single storey addition to the S and 3-bay front elevation with a central timber-boarded door. Brick, partly limewashed, with stone quoins and margins. Pyramidal pavilion roof with central octagonal stone and brick stack at the apex. Mostly 12-pane timber sash and case windows.
B-Group with Old Montrose House with Gatepiers and Wing Walls, East Drive, Old Montrose Grieve's House and Old Montrose Gatepiers (west drive).
Old Montrose walled garden and buildings are little-altered examples of a small scale country house garden group, demonstrating an early and unusual use of brick for such structures. Montrose had number of brickworks by the early 19th century, but the bricks were mostly used for flues and chimney heads. Old Montrose estate was the seat of the Earls and Dukes of Montrose for several centuries, dating back to the 15th century. There was originally a tower-house here, of which the Grieve's House is thought to incorporate some fabric. During the 18th century, the estate changed hands several times, and plans for improvement were drawn up, particularly proposals of 1764 for the formation of a walled garden, the retention of part of the manor-house as offices, and the construction of a new house. Although these particular plans do not appear to have been used, some of the proposed changes do appear to have taken place; a plan of 1786 shows the present walled gardens and gardener's cottage.
The stable building incorporates a great deal of reused stone in its fabric, and this is very likely to have been sourced from the original tower/ mansion house, including roll moulded lintels and the joggle-jointed lintel which is clearly of high quality workmanship and may have originally been made as the lintel of a large fireplace opening.
Other nearby listed buildings