This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.9649 / 56°57'53"N
Longitude: -2.2136 / 2°12'48"W
OS Eastings: 387110
OS Northings: 785986
OS Grid: NO871859
Mapcode National: GBR XK.2PXP
Mapcode Global: WH9RM.Z62G
Plus Code: 9C8VXQ7P+XH
Entry Name: Rowandale Including Boundary Walls And Gates, 25 Slug Road
Listing Name: 25 Slug Road, Rowandale Including Boundary Walls and Gates
Listing Date: 23 March 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398252
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50268
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Stonehaven and Lower Deeside
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
Circa 1900. Single storey and attic, 3-bay cottage retaining unusually fine detail and interior, and paired with No 23 Slug Road. Heavily stugged Aberdeen bond ashlar with tooled ashlar dressings; coursed, squared rubble to sides and rear. Base and eaves courses. Stone mullions and chamfered arrises. Decorative cast-iron finials to dormer windows.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Centre bay with part-glazed 9-panelled timber door, flanking pilasters, narrow outer lights and pilastered jambs, all under dentilled cornice and 3-part fanlight worded 'ROWANDALE'; small piended wallhead dormer window above. Flanking bays each with canted dormer window under reducing slate roof abutting base of smaller dormer with polygonal roof. Stepped ashlar garage with vertically-boarded part-glazed timber door adjoining at outer left.
SE ELEVATION: broad gabled elevation with single windows to left and right of centre.
4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar gablehead stacks with full-complement of polygonal cans. Ashlar-coped skews with mitre skewputts. Square-section, cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers and fixings.
INTERIOR: not seen 2005, but with good decorative scheme in place (see Notes). Encaustic-tiled hall floor with screen door.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATES: low coped harled boundary walls with ironwork gates.
This unusually intact, well-detailed cottage is grouped with No 25 Slug Road. They are situated close to the southern end of Slug Road, the main route into the town centre from Banchory. The interior detail is similar to that at No 23. Rowandale was owned, in 1923, by Miss Helen D Mitchell, and No 25 (then Ashley House) was owned by her brother.
Other nearby listed buildings