History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gatepiers And Gravestones, Heriot Parish Church (Church Of Scotland) Including Graveyard Walls

A Category C Listed Building in Heriot, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.7626 / 55°45'45"N

Longitude: -2.973 / 2°58'22"W

OS Eastings: 339041

OS Northings: 652569

OS Grid: NT390525

Mapcode National: GBR 71PT.43

Mapcode Global: WH7VT.9FJ4

Plus Code: 9C7VQ27G+2Q

Entry Name: Gatepiers And Gravestones, Heriot Parish Church (Church Of Scotland) Including Graveyard Walls

Listing Name: Heriot Parish Church (Church of Scotland) Including Graveyard Walls, Gatepiers and Gravestones

Listing Date: 4 May 2006

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 398259

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50278

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Heriot

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: Galashiels and District

Parish: Heriot

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Heriot Station


J M Wardrop, 1874. 5-bay, T-plan Early Decorated church in 13th century gothic style with projecting transepts and prominent advanced tower with gabled and finialled bellcote to E gable; gabled ancillary vestry accommodation to SW and small porch to re-entrant angle to NW. Hoodmoulded pointed trifoliate-headed arched windows; Large geometric hoodmoulded tracery window to N transept; 2 lancet windows to S (transept) and W gable ends (with cinquefoil to W); arrow slit windows and decorative carved stone cross finials to gable apexes. Red volcanic stone rubble; blonde sandstone stugged and droved chamfered quoins and margins; render to W elevation. Base course to porch, banded eaves course.

Margined diamond pane leaded glazing; 6-pane timber sash and case window to vestry. Pitched slate roofs; sawtooth stone roof to bellcote; wide sawtooth sandstone skews; beaked skewputts; stone ridges. Mixture of cast-iron and plastic rainwater goods. Bronze cockerel weathervane to bellcote.

INTERIOR: polygonal arched braced ceiling on beaked stone corbels over symmetrical nave with central aisle and side transepts. Painted walls with droved chamfered sandstone window reveals. Timber pulpit, pitch pine pews, some box pews with doors and integral tongue and groove dado panelling to walls. Four-centred arched 6-panel timber doors, barrel vaulted porch. Octagonal carved stone font.

GRAVEYARD WALLS, GATEPIERS AND WALLS: 18th century stone memorials attached to S elevation include arched gabled headstone and pedimented stone with winged angel head and inverted egg and dart border, 18th and 19th century stones to churchyard. Predominantly rubble stone walls, some concrete blockwork to E and W. Rusticated square stone gatepiers with wrought iron memorial gates dated 1914-1919.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The church is a good example of an unaltered later 19th century church with decorative stone detailing and a good plain interior decorative scheme.

A church has been noted in Heriot since the 12th century, linked to the monks of 'Newbottle' from 1300 to the Reformation. In 1795 the church on this site is recorded as being old and insufficient prompting a rebuild; the foundations of a new church are said to have been layed in 1804, a building which was subsequently heightened and re-roofed. The present church was rebuilt again in 1874 off the 1804 foundations opening for worship on 30th June 1875.

J M Wardrop (1824-1882), of the renowned Edinburgh practice Wardrop and Reid, was a contemporary of Bryce and prominent revivalist known for his baronial mansions in the 1860s and 1870s. Concurrent with his work on mansion houses Wardrop rebuilt a large number of country parish churches in a distinctive early decorated style of which Heriot Church is a good example. Other examples of churches by Wardrop in the Borders include Stow (1872) and Ayton (1867) (see separate listings).

Old timber offering ladles and an hour glass from the previous church are stored by the pulpit, along with two wooden plates dated 1855 and made from the tree that supported the old bell.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.