This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0242 / 56°1'27"N
Longitude: -3.9325 / 3°55'56"W
OS Eastings: 279653
OS Northings: 682940
OS Grid: NS796829
Mapcode National: GBR 1C.SJHR
Mapcode Global: WH4PL.KVL4
Plus Code: 9C8R23F9+M2
Entry Name: Denny, Tarduff Place, Carrongrove Mill, Carrongrove House
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398260
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50279
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Denny and Banknock
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Andrew Heiton Junior, 1860-62 (dated). Well detailed 2-storey Tudor gothic house, sited at heart of paper mill and built as manager's house (see Notes) converted to offices in later 20th century. Originally forming U-plan with single and low 2-storey service quarters framing shallow court; court filled in 20th century with mansard roof link; now rectangular-plan. Sandstone ashlar, base course, dividing string course, eaves cornice. Pointed arch carved window heads, stone gabled dormerheads.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: asymmetrical elevations. Entrance elevation to S with tripartite doorway in projecting and battered gabled bay; corbelled canted stone oriel above. Full-height canted bay and corbelled
projecting bipartite window to E elevation with carved entwined date monogram. N elevation stepping down to lower 2-storey service bays to W.
Gablet skewputts and sawtooth skews, polygonal stacks with decorative carved copes. Vertically sliding timber sash and case windows, plate glass glazing. Fishscale bands to slate roof and decorative metal brattishing to ridges.
INTERIOR: fine Tudor gothic joinery work throughout principal rooms and good plasterwork. Conversion to office use impacting on scheme but predominantly reversible. Carved doorcases with linenfold panelling to doors and window shutters. Grand timber staircase, multifoil carved balustrade with trefoil finials; decorative coloured and painted glass tripartite stair window. Fitted bookcase to library, en suite with doorcases. Gothic marble chimney piece to former drawing room. Etched glass to entrance vestibule.
Carrongrove House is a well designed villa particularly distinguished by its fine carved stonework and ornamental detailing externally, and the joinery work on the interior. It is a notable example of Heiton's work, built for the manager of the mill, Andrew Duncan, who died a year after its completion; it was originally named 'Glencarron' but is shown on the 2nd edition OS map as 'Carronglen'. The house's present location within the mill complex
differs from its original situation in a landscaped garden with lodge and pond as shown on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map; its compact form and orientation were therefore determined by choice and not by a restricted vistas. Carrongrove Mill opened in 1818 as an expansion from an earlier mill upstream at Herbertshire (Stoneywood Mill). After diversification and repeated efforts to meet a changing market, the mill has since stopped production and faces closure, 2006. Heiton specialised in such domestic work; he had trained with his father and benefited from a spell in the office of Burn and Bryce. A later villa by Heiton, Fernhall, Broughty Ferry, 1865 (now demolished), is thought to have been similar in design (Walker).
Other nearby listed buildings