This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4135 / 56°24'48"N
Longitude: -4.5411 / 4°32'27"W
OS Eastings: 243329
OS Northings: 727477
OS Grid: NN433274
Mapcode National: GBR HC5R.SRM
Mapcode Global: WH3LF.62V6
Plus Code: 9C8QCF75+9H
Entry Name: Crianlarich, Lochdochart, Lochdochart House Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398294
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50320
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Lochdochart House is a 2-storey 3-bay classical house with adjoining wings forming a near-courtyard plan to rear. Probably constructed to its current form circa 1825 with later alterations and additions, the house may contain earlier fabric (see Notes) although its external appearance is predominantly of the earlier 19th century. Harled, with margins including angle margins and a piended roof, Lochdochart House also retains a traditional glazing scheme - a rarity now in the parish. The simplicity of its classical style sets Lochdochart House apart from the local gabled and bargeboarded tradition. Set within a contemporary designed landscape at the East end of Loch Iubhair, Lochdochart House is the architectural focal point for the Loch Dochart Estate. It is an important part of the area's social history and an unusual example for the parish of the then fashionable classical style.
The symmetrical principal elevation faces South-East and has a near-central piended entrance porch. Adjoining the rear of the building to the left is a 2-bay 2-storey wing which is a single bay deep. The East elevation is 4-bay and 2-storey with the bay to the left having bipartite windows. Forming part of the courtyard to the rear is a single storey washhouse and laundry with a gable stack and pitched louvred ridge vent.
There are ridge stacks to the main house and a further gable stack to North end of the East elevation.
Renovated in the late Edwardian period, Lochdochart House has a simple interior with 6-panel timber doors, picture rails and simple cornices to the majority of the rooms. There are deep skirting boards. The balustrade in the stairwell was replaced in the mid-20th century and is now scrolled wrought-iron incorporating the Holly and Yew trees of the Christie heraldic crest.
Harl. Graded slate. Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows.
There are boundary walls around the house, dry stone to the West, rubble to the North West and to the North East and East there is a higher rubble wall with coping
Lochdochart House and its associated estate has been owned by the Christie family since 1906. There is a much-altered stable block to the West which has been recently converted to form a house. Gillies notes that the estate was sold at the beginning of the 19th century to Mr Edward Place of Skelton Grange, Yorkshire and that the house and bridge (see separate listing) were built by him. Lochdochart House stands on the site of Ewir House and the present house may incorporate fabric from this earlier building, although the Place's clearly wanted their house to look fashionably classical. The present owner believes that substantial fabric from Ewir House is integrated into Lochdochart House. The nearby Scheduled Ancient Monument, Loch Dochart Castle, forms part of the Estate and was presumably a forerunner of the House.
Other nearby listed buildings