History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Killin, James Stewart Memorial Including Railings

A Category C Listed Building in Killin, Stirling

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.4697 / 56°28'10"N

Longitude: -4.3178 / 4°19'4"W

OS Eastings: 257312

OS Northings: 733250

OS Grid: NN573332

Mapcode National: GBR HCQM.6XT

Mapcode Global: WH3L4.NN33

Entry Name: Killin, James Stewart Memorial Including Railings

Listing Date: 4 May 2006

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 398301

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50327

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Killin

County: Stirling

Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith

Parish: Killin

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Killin

Description

Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Located in a prominent position near Killin Parish Church this late 19th century Celtic cross memorial was erected by the Gaelic Society of Perth and is dedicated to the Reverend James Stewart. Stewart (1700-1789) was the first translator of the New Testament into Scottish Gaelic and resided at the nearby manse (now Invertay House, see separate listing). This memorial is of interest as a signifier of the work which Stewart carried out for the benefit of the Gaelic-speaking community and his consequential place within Scottish history as a whole. While the memorial itself is modest, the strong historic interest here adds significant weight to its importance.

The monument consists of a stepped stone base surmounted by a square main body with inscribed panels to the North and South. Above this is a polygonal shaft and the whole is topped by a Celtic cross set on a tapering shaft. The monument is surrounded by cast-iron railings with decorative arrowhead finials.

MATERIALS

Grey and pink polished and unpolished granite and sandstone.

Statement of Interest

The text on the monument is mirrored and only differs in the language used; that to the North is in English, that to the South in Gaelic. The English text reads, 'IN MEMORY OF THE REV JAMES STEWART MINISTER OF KILLIN FOR 52 YEARS FIRST TRANSLATOR OF THE NEW TESTAMENT INTO SCOTTISH GAELIC ERECTED BY THE GAELIC SOCIETY OF PERTH AND OTHER FRIENDS TO WHOM HIS MEMORY IS DEAR BORN 1700 DIED 1789'.

Stewart was minister of Killin Parish Church from 1737-89 and along with his son, John, was the principal translator of the Bible into Gaelic. His translation of the New Testament was published in 1769 and the Old Testament was completed after his death.

Gillies (writing in 1938) notes that the monument was erected 50 years ago.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.