This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3536 / 56°21'12"N
Longitude: -4.3253 / 4°19'31"W
OS Eastings: 256412
OS Northings: 720342
OS Grid: NN564203
Mapcode National: GBR 0X.3L98
Mapcode Global: WH3LQ.JKKM
Plus Code: 9C8Q9M3F+CV
Entry Name: Kingshouse, Signpost
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398325
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50342
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Circa 1890, or later (see Notes). Painted cast-iron signpost with 2 arms. Straight post with 2 ring shafts below arms and ball finial. White-painted cast-iron arms with chamfered corners, black raised lettering (see Notes) and black-painted edges. A rare surviving example of a traditional signpost.
Situated at the Balquhidder junction, by the corner of the Kingshouse Hotel car park. This sign originally had 3 arms as this was originally a T-junction with the A84 running past the front of The Kingshouse Hotel. The third arm was presumably removed when the road was re-routed.
This type of road sign was once ubiquitous on the roads of Scotland, and is an important part of the history of road transport. Most of these signposts have now been replaced by modern signs which are more legible to fast-moving traffic. This is the only such signpost known to survive in anything approaching its original condition in the Trossachs, although there is a much later, and less complete signpost at the Stroneslaney / Ballimore Junction in this parish (not listed). Other signposts are known to survive in Dumfries and Galloway, Ayrshire and East Lothian.
There are 2 arms to the post. One is for ROB ROY'S GRAVE. 2 MILES; and BRAES O'BALQUHIDDER. The other is for LOCHEARNHEAD. 3 MILES; KILLIN. 10 MILES; CRIANLARICH. 20 MILES; and OBAN. 61 MILES and has a small attachment clipped onto it for the A84. Each arm also has an illustration of a pointing hand.
A signpost is marked on this spot on the 1898 OS map, but it is not presently known whether this is the original sign, or a later replacement. The article in Ayrshire Notes indicates similar signs in Ayrshire date from the mid 1920s. It was, however, erected before 1930 as a memorandum on direction posts issued by the Ministry of Transport in 1930 specified that the arms should have square ends.
Other nearby listed buildings