This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1142 / 56°6'51"N
Longitude: -4.9098 / 4°54'35"W
OS Eastings: 219178
OS Northings: 695085
OS Grid: NS191950
Mapcode National: GBR 06.LT3X
Mapcode Global: WH2LG.KL64
Entry Name: Carrick Castle Church Including Gates and Railings
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398333
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50349
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Lochgoilhead and Kilmorich
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Cowal
Parish: Lochgoilhead And Kilmorich
Traditional County: Argyllshire
Carrick Castle Church, built 1892, is a small, rectangular plan, corrugated-iron clad building. Its exterior is a very simple example of tin building architecture.
The E gable entrance front, which faces the loch, has simple radial timbering to the apex; below is a small gabled porch with 2-leaf timber-boarded doors. The side elevations are of 4 bays, with unusual window arrangement comprising a large square 9 pane window (although the windows are not original, the glazing pattern copies that of the original windows) with a small single pane window positioned centrally just above. To the rear gable end is a small single storey flat-roofed section, one bay deep and running the width of the church; this forms the session room, lavatory and vestry. The N elevation of the flat-roofed section has a window, of the pattern described above, which lights the session room; the long rear (W) elevation has a plain rectangular window lighting each of the 3 rooms within, and to the south elevation is a timber-boarded door which gives access to the vestry. In the apex of the rear gable-end is an octagonal opening containing a modern stained glass window which replaced the original wheel window.
The interior of the church is entirely timber-boarded, and retains the original stencilled dado scheme. The roof is of timber scissor beam construction. In the early 21st century, approximately half the original pews were removed to create a recreation area. The remainder of the pews are original and many have hat-holders on the underside of the seats. Against the rear wall is a raised pulpit platform, edged by turned timber balusters and handrail, surmounted by a pair of globe gas-light shades mounted on brass poles.
Timber-framed, clad with corrugated iron to walls and roof; the roof iron is modern replacement, but much of the wall iron is original. The larger windows are mainly metal framed; the only large timber window, on the south elevation, is a replica of the original windows. Some original glass remains to the smaller single pane timber windows. Some cast-iron rainwater goods.
GATES AND RAILINGS
To the E, flanking the steps which lead up to the entrance, wrought iron Art Nouveau style gates, flanked by short lengths of simple railings.
Place of Worship in use as such (2004).
Carrick Castle Church was established to serve the spiritual needs of the increasing numbers of families, mainly of Glasgow merchants, that were buying or building holiday homes in Carrick in the late 1870s and early 1880s. They had asked the Church of Scotland if it would build a church in Carrick, but the church demurred, saying that they were happy for the minister of Lochgoilhead to preach at Carrick, but that they would not provide a place of worship. The merchants took matters into their own hands and decided that they would finance and build the church themselves. The land on which the church stands was gifted by Charles John Cathcart of Glenfinnart. It is understood that Sears and Co of Glasgow were contracted to build the church although much of the building material including the corrugated iron, was gifted by the merchants from their own stock.
Other nearby listed buildings