This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2631 / 56°15'47"N
Longitude: -4.2807 / 4°16'50"W
OS Eastings: 258834
OS Northings: 710185
OS Grid: NN588101
Mapcode National: GBR 0Y.9B9T
Mapcode Global: WH3M4.6TTZ
Plus Code: 9C8Q7P79+6P
Entry Name: Anie Farmhouse
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398391
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50394
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Dated 1737, symmetrical 3-bay 2-storey restored farmhouse, 19th and 20th century rear wings create an over-all square plan building. Moulded eaves cornice to principal SW elevation, dated corbel stone to SE gable, smooth rendered margins to window openings of original house and arises. Despite changes made to the exterior and interior, the building is an important example within the local area of a farmhouse with possible 18th century fabric, standing in a prominent position. It is of interest to note that the farm track which runs past the farm was originally part of Major Caulfield's military road (1850-1852) with a small single span bridge remaining (see separate listing).
The windows to the 1st floor of the principal elevation are smaller than those at the ground floor. This perhaps suggest that the ground floor windows have been enlarged at a later date to increase light to the principal rooms. It is also possible that originally the side gables of the original building were blank with the single windows at ground and 1st floor inserted at a later date. The central bipartite window has been inserted at a later date. The 2 rear wings have various fenestration, a modern porch and lean-to are set to the 19th century wing.
Access was not possible at time of the site visit, 2004, though it was established that the interior had been recently refurbished.
Harled walls. Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows, recently refurbished with ventilators, 2004. Refurbished grey slate roof. Modern piend roofed dormer windows, slit windows to cheeks. Centred bi-partite rooflight to SW.
The detailing and proportions of the house including the small set at eaves 1st floor windows, and bouldered basecourse, give the house the feel of an 18th century building. It is not substantiated that the house dates from 1737 as indicated by the dated corbel. Date stones are usually set above doors or in more visible areas, rather than side gables close to the rear. This leads one to suspect that perhaps the corbel has been inscribed at a later date or re-used. It is possible that the farm was built soon after the building of the military road in the 1750s. James Stobie's map of 1783 refers to the area where the farmhouse is located as Upper Anie. A settlement known as Lower Anie is marked on the map, situated by the roadside opposite St. Bride's Chapel (see separate listing), it no longer survives. The map shows an L-shaped building to Upper Anie, it is possible that this represents the farmhouse and one of the dilapidated steading ranges located to its rear, 2004. The 25th president of the United States, William Mckinlay, is said to have been descended from Mckinlays who lived at Anie in the 17th and 18th centuries. There are 4 Mckinlay graves in the burial ground at St. Bride's Chapel [Alexander Reid].
Other nearby listed buildings