This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0039 / 56°0'13"N
Longitude: -4.8982 / 4°53'53"W
OS Eastings: 219384
OS Northings: 682780
OS Grid: NS193827
Mapcode National: GBR 06.TPLH
Mapcode Global: WH2M1.QCQ6
Plus Code: 9C8Q2432+GP
Entry Name: Including Boundary Walls And Gatepiers, Bannachra
Listing Name: Blairmore, Shore Road, Bannachra, Including Coach House, Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398433
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50424
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Dunoon and Kilmun
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Cowal
Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun
Traditional County: Argyllshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Bannachra (1861) is one of the better examples of villas on the Shore Road remaining in substantially unaltered condition and with its original coach house The house has a number of decorative features, such as the corbelled and pierced stone parapets. Bannachra, a rectangular-plan 3-bay 2-storey villa with a gabled front, also makes a significant contribution to the collection of buildings along the shore.
The central entrance to Bannachra is in a basket-arched doorway with sandstone voussoirs. Above this is a tudor-arched window in a half-dormer. To the left of the door there is a tripartite window, above which is a false parapet with pierced quatrefoil stonework. On the first floor is a round-arched window. The gable on the right which, unusually, does not project from the front of the house, has a canted bay on the ground floor, a pierced quatrefoil parapet and a hood-moulded tripartite window on the 1st floor. A greenhouse is attached to the S elevation. To the rear of the house is a single-storey piended 'roof projection.
The house appears to have survived substantially as on the 1st edition O.S. map. On the 2nd edition map there is an extension to the rear of the coach house, but this appears to have been removed since. A window on the S elevation has recently been converted to form a door.
Interior: access to the interior was not possible at the time of the resurvey (2004).
Materials: painted rubble with sandstone dressings. Graded slate gabled roof. Stone chimneys and polygonal clay cans. Timber sash and case windows, predominantly plate glass, but with lying-pane glazing to the sides
Coach House, Boundary Walls: to the side of the house is a 2-storey coach house, typical of those found in the locality, with projecting voussoirs on the depressed coach arch as on the main house and a round-headed window on the first floor. The house is surrounded by rubble boundary walls, with a cast iron gate on square-plan stone gatepiers.
Built in 1861 for Arthur Anderson, a Glasgow Wine and Spirit merchant (Information courtesy of the owner, 2004). The settlement of the W shore of Loch Long was a continuation from the development of Kilmun and Strone, which began in the late 1820s when marine engineer David Napier feued a three mile stretch of land from Campbell of Monzie and ran daily steamer connections to Glasgow. Blairmore Pier opened in 1855, encouraging development northwards (Walker, 2000, 147).
Other nearby listed buildings