This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9892 / 55°59'20"N
Longitude: -4.9278 / 4°55'40"W
OS Eastings: 217471
OS Northings: 681224
OS Grid: NS174812
Mapcode National: GBR 05.VNY1
Mapcode Global: WH2M1.8QPH
Plus Code: 9C7QX3QC+MV
Entry Name: Memorial To James Duncan, Graham's Point, Kilmun
Listing Name: Kilmun, Graham's Point, Memorial to James Duncan
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398451
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50435
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Dunoon and Kilmun
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Cowal
Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun
Traditional County: Argyllshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
This memorial to James Duncan, the owner and improver of Benmore estate, is situated off the road at Graham's Point. The memorial, erected in 1906, commemorates Duncan's achievements in the locality. Designed by A. Macfarlane Shannon, the memorial consists of a grey granite obelisk on a high plinth of grey granite with inset pink granite slabs. On the NE face of the obelisk is a bronze low-relief bust of Duncan. To the base of the plinth on the SE, SW and NW sides are drinking troughs for animals. The memorial was originally a working drinking fountain, with spouts and animal drinking troughs on three sides. However, it no longer functions. The inscription on the plinth has also been lost.
Materials: Grey and pink granite, bronze plaque.
James Duncan, a Greenock Sugar Refiner, purchased the estates of Bernice, Kilmun and Benmore in 1870. He was responsible for much of the planting which still survives at Benmore. While in control of the estate, Duncan carried out a number of improvements, such as discovering and mining tin and lead at Gairletter. Duncan also built numerous houses and a hall at Strone (since demolished).
The sculptor responsible for the design was Archibald Macfarlane Shannan (1850-1915). The contractors were MacDonald and Co., Aberdeen Granite Works, Glasgow. The Memorial was unveiled in 1906. The location of the memorial can be explained by the fact that the main road followed the coast around Graham's Point, which was within the grounds of Finnartmore.
Other nearby listed buildings