This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2579 / 56°15'28"N
Longitude: -4.5768 / 4°34'36"W
OS Eastings: 240473
OS Northings: 710248
OS Grid: NN404102
Mapcode National: GBR 0L.9PSV
Mapcode Global: WH3LZ.NZR0
Plus Code: 9C8Q7C5F+47
Entry Name: Pier, Stronachlachar
Listing Name: Stronachlachar, Pier Building and Pier Including Revetment Walls and Railings
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398508
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50464
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority Stronachlachar Pier and Pier Building were built in the earlier 20th century to provide facilities for the SS Sir Walter Scott. They reflect the significance of the steamer route in the history anddevelopment of the small settlement of Stronachlachar, and the wider development of tourism around Loch Katrine and Loch Lomond in the 19th and early 20th centuries.
The T-plan pier projects into Loch Katrine from an apron of land (currently a tarmac car park) which is contained by a rubble revetment with dressed stone detailing, and surmounted by cast iron railings. Projecting E from this apron is a short jetty of rubble with dressed raised quoins; this supports one end of a bow-girdered bridge. The far end of the bridge connects to the cast-iron landing stage, which is orientated NW-SE, and is terminated at each end by pointed dressed stone cutwaters.
Located just to the NW of the pier, the pier building is single storey and rectangular-plan with a small outshot to the NW corner. The front (SW) elevation is sheltered by an 8-bay veranda with cast-iron columns and quatrefoil spandrels; beneath the veranda, 7-irregularly disposed bays include a 2-leaf timber panelled door (leading to the waiting room) to the 2nd bay from the right, and a single timber door to the 3rd bay from the left, the remainder being windows. The rear (NE) elevation is simpler, but has a canted bay window to light the waiting room. The SE side elevation bears a painted timber board reading 'Stronachlachar'. The pier building is harled with piended Rosemary tile roof. The windows are 4-pane timber sash and case.
Largely unaltered; ladies toilets, accessed from waiting room, retain original joinery, tiles and sinks.
Following the publication of Sir Walter Scott's 'The Lady of the Lake' in 1809, a brisk tourist trade became established around Loch Katrine. It became very popular to sail from the Trossachs Pier to Stronachlachar, and then to continue on to Inversnaid and Loch Lomond, or vice versa. This pier and pier building were built to replace an earlier pier which had been located directly in front of Stronachlachar Lodge, a large hotel built c1888 to accommodate increasing numbers of tourists. The introduction of the SS Sir Walter Scott to serve the route in 1899 (the Sir Walter Scott still serves this route, 2005) and a possible further increase in passengers, would have put pressure on the earlier pier, and eventually led to the construction of improved facilities.
Other nearby listed buildings