This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0119 / 56°0'42"N
Longitude: -3.6162 / 3°36'58"W
OS Eastings: 299330
OS Northings: 681063
OS Grid: NS993810
Mapcode National: GBR 1R.T9JP
Mapcode Global: WH5R2.F561
Plus Code: 9C8R296M+QG
Entry Name: Railings And Boundary Walls, Dean Road Cemetery Including Gatepiers
Listing Name: Dean Road Cemetery Including Gatepiers, Railings and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 23 March 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398555
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50485
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Bo'ness and Blackness
Traditional County: West Lothian
Circa 1881. Cemetery containing notable grave monuments. To Dean Road: 4 large square stone corniced gatepiers with base course and overhanging pyramidal caps arranged to form 2 side pedestrian entrances and 1 inner vehicular entrance. To Dundas Street: similar set of 4 gatepiers, painted and with integral kerbstones. To Deanfield Street: similar set of 4 gatepiers, some parts sympathetically replaced, pedestrian access to right now part-infilled.
To Dean Road: low stepped squared and snecked sandstone coped wall with decorative railing. All gatepiers have decorative cast-iron gates. To W, high sandstone rubble wall with semicircular coping.
Late Victorian to present day monuments, many granite. To E, particularly fine unpolished granite large monument to George Cadell Stewart and his wife Tamar Taylor Tweedie by W G Rowan. Advanced square piers flank incised Lamb of God with Evangelists. Signed and dated (1914) by Rowan.
The Dean Road Cemetery was laid out by James Strang in 1881 and comprised about half its current extent. It was rapidly expanded to its present size and appears as such on the 1913 Ordnance Survey map. The three sets of monumental gatepiers are particularly impressive with their decorative gates and railings, those to Dean Road being slightly later. Of particular note is the striking Cadell Stewart monument by the architect, W G Rowan, which has some excellent symbolic detailing. The Dean Road Cemetery is an imposing contribution to Bo'ness' social history.
Other nearby listed buildings