This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0148 / 56°0'53"N
Longitude: -3.5979 / 3°35'52"W
OS Eastings: 300483
OS Northings: 681361
OS Grid: NT004813
Mapcode National: GBR 1S.T1P4
Mapcode Global: WH5R2.P2YT
Plus Code: 9C8R2C72+WV
Entry Name: Roman House Including Gatepiers And Boundary Walls, 26 Grange Terrace
Listing Name: 26 Grange Terrace, Roman House Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls and Ancillary Structure
Listing Date: 23 March 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398561
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50488
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Bo'ness and Blackness
Traditional County: West Lothian
Dated 1883. 2-storey 3-bay L-plan Tudor detailed house. Predominantly squared and snecked bull-faced sandstone with ashlar dressings. Base course, continous hoodmould/string course divides storeys, canted bays, mutli-gabled, arrow slits, cast-iron detailing.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central entrance with 2-leaf timber door with large plate glass fanlight above. Advanced corniced porch supported by 4 large polygonal corniced cast-iron pillars; applied cast-iron initials, 'AB' and 'CH'. Above, window with segmental gablehead with cast-iron applied date, '1883'. To left, advanced bay with tripartite window at ground with cornice and decorative cast-iron frieze. Above, bipartite window with gablehead breaking eaves. To right, gable with advanced 4-light canted bay to ground and 1st floors, corbelled above with blind arrow slit window.
S ELEVATION: single storey service wing runs parallel to main house with short single storey linking section at right angles.
Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen (2004).
GATERPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL: to N, very low rubble coped wall (railings missing) with corner polygonal cast-iron pier to NE, identical to those on porch.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: to N, short flight of garden steps bounded by ashlar with short piers to N.
One of the most impressive houses in Grange Terrace, Roman House was built for the Ballantine family of Ballantine's Iron Foundry, a short distance to the N (see separate listing), hence the quality of the cast-iron detailing, not seen elsewhere in Bo'ness. The house is of some architectural distinction with its attention to detail and interesting composition. Roman House is notable for the quality of its architecture and its historical link with a well-known Bo'ness company.
Other nearby listed buildings