This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.2387 / 57°14'19"N
Longitude: -2.2639 / 2°15'49"W
OS Eastings: 384172
OS Northings: 816477
OS Grid: NJ841164
Mapcode National: GBR XF.ZQD9
Mapcode Global: WH9Q8.6B71
Plus Code: 9C9V6PQP+FF
Entry Name: West Lodge Including Boundary Walls And Gatepiers, Hatton Of Fintray
Listing Name: Hatton of Fintray, West Lodge Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 19 June 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398572
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50503
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: East Garioch
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Mid 19th century. Well-detailed single storey, 3-bay, L-plan Tudor lodge house and fine finialled gatepiers originally forming entrance to Fintray House (demolished 1956) policies. Harl with deep granite base course and moulded eaves blocking course and granite dressings. Tudor-arched doorpiece, steeply-pitched gables, hoodmoulds, mutuled cornice to oriel window, ball and spike finials. Voussoirs and chamfered reveals.
Entrance elevation to SW incorporating advanced gabled bay to left with oriel window below blind shield, and open granite porch supported on massive
square-plan granite pier in re-entrant angle to right, and recessed 2-leaf part-glazed timber door with blind-traceried detail to lower panels and plate glass fanlight; set-back bay at right with blind/blocked? arrowslit. Small projecting gable with arrowslits to NW.
4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with polygonal cans and triangular ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts.
INTERIOR: simple interior retaining panelledtimber doors, decorative cast-iron fireplace and wall cupboard to sitting room, and tiny cast-iron bedroom fireplace.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square section, 2-stage ashlar gatepiers, with stop-chamfer at top of 1st stage giving way to reduced polygonal 2nd stage and large moulded finial with ball and spike cap; low coped ashlar boundary walls.
The West Lodge and gatepiers are all that survives at the western edge of the once fine estate of Fintray, close to the site of an earlier abbey. The former Fintray House (demolished 1956) was described by Groome as 'a large modern mansion in the Tudor style; the estate was acquired in 1610 by the first of the Forbeses of Craigevar, having belonged to the Abbey of Lindores in Fife from 1224 down to the Reformation'. The Lodge reflects the Tudor detailing of Fintray House.
Other nearby listed buildings