This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.227 / 57°13'37"N
Longitude: -2.4551 / 2°27'18"W
OS Eastings: 372619
OS Northings: 815228
OS Grid: NJ726152
Mapcode National: GBR X5.6GD3
Mapcode Global: WH8P1.8M43
Plus Code: 9C9V6GGV+QX
Entry Name: West Lodge Including Boundary Walls And Gates, Kemnay House
Listing Name: Kemnay House, West Lodge Including Boundary Walls and Gates
Listing Date: 3 July 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398590
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50511
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: West Garioch
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Possibly John Smith (see Notes), dated 1826. Finely detailed single storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan lodge sited at W entrance to Kemnay House policies, with triangular-plan oriel windows, steeply-pitched gables, decorative bands of fishscale and lozenge pattern slates, and elegant brattishing to roof ridges. Large blocks of bull-faced ashlar with narrow polished margins and quoin strips. Deep base course. Broad segmental-arched moulded doorpiece with dated keystone, and segmental-arched windows with roll-moulded mullions. Timber mullions.
Symmetrical entrance elevation to driveway at NW incorporating projecting centre gable with chamfered outer angles, 2-leaf panelled timber door and segmental plate glass fanlight below blind panel, bipartite windows in flanking bays. Oriel window under elongated swept roof to NE and SW gables. 3 small modern rooflights to rear (SE) elevation.
INTERIOR: simple interior with 2 main rooms retaining moulded cornices and fireplaces.
Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows. Decorative slated roof with ridge brattishing. Squat coped ashlar ridge stacks with clay cans flanking centre gabled bay. Deeply overhanging eaves with plain bargeboarding.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATES: stepped, low, flat-coped, bull-faced boundary walls with decorative ironwork gates and finialled gatepiers.
The West Lodge of Kemnay House (listed separately at category 'A') is a well-detailed, unaltered example of a traditional gate lodge. In many cases the aesthetic appeal of this type, often due to the quaint diminutive proportions, has been eroded owing to the limited accommodation offered. West Lodge, however, remains a rare perfectly proportioned survival. Thomas Burnett, first laird of Kemnay, purchased the estate in 1688. By the early
years of the 19th century, John, the fifth laird was running the estate with his wife Mary Stuart of Dunearn in Fife. Letters in the family archive dating from1830, detail remodelling and building work undertaken by John Smith. Hence the possibility that he also designed the West Lodge. Kemnay remains in the same family today (2006), it was inherited by the 9th and current laird, Susan Letitia Burnett of Milton in 1948.