This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.888 / 55°53'16"N
Longitude: -3.4308 / 3°25'50"W
OS Eastings: 310603
OS Northings: 667023
OS Grid: NT106670
Mapcode National: GBR 40HC.14
Mapcode Global: WH6SW.88JH
Plus Code: 9C7RVHQ9+6M
Entry Name: The Old School House, Station Road, Kirknewton
Listing Name: Kirknewton, Station Road, the Old School House
Listing Date: 21 July 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398788
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50536
Building Class: Cultural
County: West Lothian
Electoral Ward: East Livingston and East Calder
Traditional County: Midlothian
1750; altered and extended early 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay former manse and school house. Original rectangular-plan manse extended and remodelled to form T-plan building with plain classical frontage. Rubble with projecting droved ashlar quoins and tabbed openings. Symmetrical front (N) elevation with advanced central bay (added 1835) comprising broad gable end with plain pediment. Door to centre with masonry pitched canopy with unusal brackets, single opening above, blind arrow loop to pediment. Rear (S) elevation comprising original block to right with thackstanes. 19th century addition to left, with raised wallhead. Small single storey porch offset to left. Irregular fenestration. Replacement glazing, grey slate, straight skews. Droved and corniced gable stacks with octagonal chimney cans.
Dating from the mid 18th century this former manse and school house displays many traditional features of vernacular Scottish architecture, as well as later classical influences. The original part of the building retains its thackstanes. The later additions to the front display simple classical detailing. The rubble stonework and projecting dressings show that the building was probably harled. The manse was built at the time of the union of the parishes of Kirknewton and East Calder in the 18th century. The New Statistical Account notes that the manse had become inadequate by the 1830s and states that the heritors 'of their own accord resolved to subject it to a thorough repair, and, at the same time, to make an addition to the amount, and still more to the quality of its accomodations' (NSA p 448). This remodelling gave the building its current symmetrical classical appearance. From the rear elevation it would appear that the manse was previously a very simple vernacular structure. A new manse was constructed across the road in the 1840s. The building was later converted to a school, and is now in residential use.
Other nearby listed buildings