This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.598 / 55°35'52"N
Longitude: -3.3937 / 3°23'37"W
OS Eastings: 312275
OS Northings: 634699
OS Grid: NT122346
Mapcode National: GBR 43RQ.23
Mapcode Global: WH6V7.VK4C
Plus Code: 9C7RHJX4+5G
Entry Name: Memorial To Thomas Tweedie Including Enclosure Railings And Gate, Rachan Wood
Listing Name: Rachan Wood, Memorial to Thomas Tweedie Including Enclosure Railings and Gate
Listing Date: 4 October 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398880
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50604
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Broughton, Glenholm and Kilbucho
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Tweeddale West
Parish: Broughton, Glenholm And Kilbucho
Traditional County: Peeblesshire
Circa 1855. Mausoleum of Thomas Stevenson Tweedie and his wife Benjamina. 3-bay symmetrical monument with ornate classical detailing, comprising sandstone ashlar rear wall with colonnaded front and sides. Polished granite incription panel to rear wall with panel above containing wreathed blind shield. 4 square-plan columns with Composite capitals surmounted by angelic heads supporting moulded architrave; winged globe to central bay. Large stone slabs to roof (see notes). Set within burial enclosure with dwarf boundary wall, railings and gate.
The Tweedie Memorial in a good example of monument architecture and is in an ornate classical style. It is evidence of the interest in elaborate funerary monuments that characterised much of the Victorian era. Although not large the memorial has a wealth of architectural details, most notably the Composite capitals and other carved detailing. This mausoleum is one of the last remaining structures of the Rachan House estate, the house itself was demolished in the 1920s. Thomas Stevenson Tweedie, having trained in Edinburgh, became Physician General to the East India Company. He was also the proprietor of an Indigo manufactory in Bengal. He returned to Scotland in the 1820s and, although he died at buried at Rachan in 1855. The memorial is currently in a poor state of repair and the roof over the right hand bay has Quarter, he was collapsed. (2006).
Other nearby listed buildings