This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6656 / 55°39'56"N
Longitude: -2.7006 / 2°42'2"W
OS Eastings: 356026
OS Northings: 641569
OS Grid: NT560415
Mapcode National: GBR 92LX.4V
Mapcode Global: WH7WB.HV7J
Plus Code: 9C7VM78X+7Q
Entry Name: Chapel-On-Leader House Water Tower
Listing Name: Chapel on Leader Stables Including Garden Cottage, Water Tower, Boundary Walls, Railings, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 4 October 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398884
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50606
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Leaderdale and Melrose
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Predominantly late 19th century, possibly incorporating earlier 19th century fabric (see Notes); 1855 date stone. Single-storey, U-plan steading containing cottages, coach houses, stables and other offices with free-standing 2-stage pyramidal-roofed water tower in courtyard; courtyard enclosed by coped boundary wall and railings. Pink sandstone rubble with polished sandstone ashlar dressings; courtyard elevations rendered. Base course, eaves course, stop-chamfered long and short window margins.
STEADING: W range has 3-bay cottage at S end with stone-gabled dormers breaking eaves and stepped hoodmould to gable window; stables to N end; fairly regular fenestration to rear elevation with gabled dormer hayloft left of centre. Central range has 3-bay cottage to left, similar to the above; 4 bays of offices to right; small outshot and large late 20th century barn adjoining rear elevation. E range has 3-bay office or cottage at S end with central door and pigeon loft with 6 entrance holes and 2 alighting ledges above S gable window within stepped hoodmould; 2 large round-arched coach houses to centre of courtyard elevation with 2-leaf timber-boarded doors (one with decorative strap hinges).
Timber-boarded office doors. Predominantly 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; some 6-pane fixed lights to stables. Yellow brick wallhead and ridge stacks with sandstone copes and octagonal yellow clay cans. Grey Welsh slate. Cast-iron rainwater goods with corniced rectangular hoppers and decorative brackets.
WATER TOWER: 2-stage square-plan tower with timber-boarded doors at ground and 1st floor to N elevation; gabled dormer and oculus to S elevation; piended roof with pigeon weather-vane. Random rubble with sandstone ashlar dressings.
BOUNDARY WALL, GATES AND GATEPIERS: enclosing courtyard to N. Ashlar-coped random rubble boundary wall topped with decorative spear-headed wrought-iron railings. Wall and railings extend in front of SE gable. Off-centre, corniced, stop-chamfered gatepiers with ball finials; 2-leaf wrought-iron gates with curved top rails.
A neat, picturesque, and little-altered example of a late 19th century stables / offices, built to serve Chapel-on-Leader House. A substantial farm called 'Chapel' has existed on or near this location since at least the mid 17th century, and predates the existence of Chapel-on-Leader House; a U-plan steading is marked on Crawford and Brooke's map of 1843. Significant changes shown on the 2nd edition OS map indicate that the steading was largely rebuilt in the 2nd half of the 19th century, probably in the 1880s when the owner, Henry Roberts, carried out a number of improvements. The water tower, which appears to incorporate a dovecot, is a distinctive feature adding to the interest.
The near-by walled garden is listed separately. List description updated at resurvey (2010).
Other nearby listed buildings